Options
female
5'8
150-155 pounds
fat 89g
carb 230g
pro 144g
calories 2300
im trying to gain muscle/ weight slowly but im struggling. in order to gain 0.5 lbs per week I was recommened 2300 but I'm loosing weight and just looking more toned. I strength train 4 times a week. should I go up or change my macros? I also find I dont't have alot of energy when I train too but eating 2300 is so so hard, it feels like so much food and i have to focre myself.

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight, you need to increase your calories. Look at high cal foods like nuts, oils, cheese etc. There's a whole list somewhere (probably in this forum).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Losing weight and lack of energy? Yes you have to eat more if you want to gain.

Add in more peanut butter... and ice cream too!

eta... this is a good link http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Losing weight and lack of energy? Yes you have to eat more if you want to gain.

Add in more peanut butter... and ice cream too!

eta... this is a good link http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

thatt helps a lot all my foods are clean foods. i need to get back to normal.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My partner has similar issues when training. When we head into the Bush we bring peanut butter as it is full of calories.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds would be a good idea as well....1/4 of sunflower seeds are 200 calories with roughly 7g protein, 7g carbs and 17g fats.

Almond Butter or Cashew Butter might be a good idea, too. Just to mix things up a bit for you.....I love all three (Peanut Butter, Almond Butter and Cashew Butter). All have *roughly* the same amount of calories and macros as the sunflower seeds....roughly.

Sounds like - as RoxieDawn stated - you do indeed need to 'feed the machine' more. Absolutely agree.

I would suggest adding some 80 calories - 120 calories per day for one week. See how your body responds to that. See how your energy levels respond to that increase.

Regarding the macro breakdown - do you know how you respond to carbs vs to fats? I ask as I would - generally speaking - add those extra calories in via carbs. As a starting point....but that depends on what works best for you....so, I ask.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Also, do you prep your meals? Mostly a secondary question.....but curious if you prep. My guess would be that you do.
  • lady_ghost
    Options
    i make a bunch of food and then and i just take it out when im ready to eat. but i always qeigh it and fit it within my macros
  • lady_ghost
    Options
    i gain fat when i have more carbs. 230g ia alot for me as it is.my body responds well to healthy fats are good for me
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    No matter what, you will gain some fat in a bulk.

If you prefer more fats vs carbs that's fine, but if you are gaining too much fat it is because your surplus is too high or training inadequate. Or you are starting off at too high a bodyfat %. (Unless of course you have a medical condition or something like insulin resistance). I always keep my carbs super high in a bulk.. they aren't as filling (which might help your situation esp since you are having issues getting the cals in) also they fuel my workouts and I enjoy them.
  • redwards7991
    redwards7991 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Def agree with sardelsa ^^. Fats or carbs won't make you gain fat. I'm currently on a similar bulk. 5'9 between 150-155lbs, with similar macros. I alternate between higher fat and higher carb days depending on what I'm in the mood for, but protein stays consistent. I'm around 20-22% body fat. And I'm on a 10% caloric surplus (TDEE is roughly 2100). Assuming you are strength training 4-6 hours a week, starting off at around the same BF%, and CONSISTENTLY eating 2300 cal a day with those macros (for at least 2-3 weeks), I'd say it's safe to increase your carbs or fats.

Your protein is pretty solidly in the range of .8-1g/lb of bodyweight, so increasing your protein (beyond 155g/day) won't make a significant difference. I don't think it's a matter of changing your macros, but actually consistently hitting your surplus. Assuming you're doing that, try increasing your calories an additional 100-150 cal for a couple weeks and see how that goes.

I def agree it's tough eating 2300 calories a day. I've been as high as 2800 calories a day and couldn't sustain it bc eating became a chore. Esp bc like you, I was eating clean whole foods. I now get 60g of protein from protein shakes, and the rest of my protein and calories from whole plant-based foods. I've been able to get as high as 158lb this year, when I just focused on eating more (spaghetti was helpful
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    No matter what, you will gain some fat in a bulk.

If you prefer more fats vs carbs that's fine, but if you are gaining too much fat it is because your surplus is too high or training inadequate. Or you are starting off at too high a bodyfat %. (Unless of course you have a medical condition or something like insulin resistance). I always keep my carbs super high in a bulk.. they aren't as filling (which might help your situation esp since you are having issues getting the cals in) also they fuel my workouts and I enjoy them.

Carbs are support muscle recovery and protein synthesis. Carbs are just really good for bulking.
  • mlowemgr2
    mlowemgr2 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The key is to increase your protein...the more protein in your diet the more muscle wiil be created..the more muscle the more fat burned...get your weight lifting as a must..add cardio on your job lift days....my routine is 30 to 40 minutes each morning except Sunday every morning no exception...intense weight lifting between at 4:45 Monday Wednesday and Friday.....record your every food you digest without fail.....incorporate these 4 must exercise:
    Squats with weights...will build your core
    Dead lift with weights another core builder
    Bench press
    Military press
    Start slow add weights..focus on 100% correct form...
    You do the above and you will do awesome!!
    Hope this helps..Mike
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    This is not helpful but I just have to say...wish I had this problem. I gain on 2100 and have an easy appetite for 2500.

Do you feel it is food volume that makes you too full or maybe too high of a fat or fiber intake? Are you seasoning your food well so you can enjoy it?