I never get a good workout at the gym

I have been going to the gym twice
a week for two months. I work out at home 2-3 times a week. I never get a good workout from the gym, I never feel sore and I just generally hate going there. I get a way better workout/ burn at home. At the gym the place is a mess, people hog the machines and stare you down. I dont feel comfortable, especially since I'm new and trying things out..but even when I push myself to complete my routine I just dont feel much of a burn. Alot of times im waiting around for ppl to complete a set, I'm wondering if I should just buy more gym equipment and stay home. anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Once I quit the gym I started enjoying my workouts even more. You don't really need a lot of fancy expensive gym equipment to get a great workout. Get creative, get outside, the world is your gym and your body will provide all the resistance you need.
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    thank you i always had this idea that i wasnt going to improve unless i joined a gym but i see the opposite happening
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    I have heard others complain of that but I have found a great Wellness Center. I had a fitness assessment when I started and they set me up on a program. It tells me exactly what exercise to do and what time/resistance/reps/etc. maybe I don't hit the r ally busy times but I rarely have to wait. Maybe you haven't found the right place for you. But there is nothing wrong with home exercise. Find what works and go with it. This journey is different for each of us.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    thank you i always had this idea that i wasnt going to improve unless i joined a gym but i see the opposite happening

Yea it is definitely possible to make significant progress at home, I think I am a pretty decent example of that ;)
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Check out plyometric training. It is all body weight exercises that in my opinion build real use muscle and endurance. There are thousands of routines out there but I like this guys workouts. You can see the simple things in his gym and get creative on your own too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqjwF8rxRsotnojGl4gM0Zw
  • Antaste
    Antaste Posts: 20 Member
    I enjoy working out at home (and bench and a set of free weights is pretty much all I need) but I also enjoy going to the gym. Thing is tho, I go there usually around 4am and workout in "women's section" so I don't really have a problem with having to wait for others, etc. - there's only me and my music
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    The only reason I'd go to a gym is if I suddenly decided "proper" heavy lifting was for me as I don't have room for squat racks and such at home. But otherwise, I have my adjustable dumbbells and mats and just go at it at home. I add things here and there, like I have a mini stepper if I want a bit of easy extra cardio. I'm going to add some resistance bands for good old resisted kickbacks etc.

There are a lot of people here who don't go to a gym and get great results. If you enjoy it more and are self motivated enough to complete your workouts then do it!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Pick what works for you! I find I get a bit more lazy at home, and the act of going to the gym pushes me a lot harder, plus I don't have much equipment. For now, the gym keeps me on track, but that's what works for me :) Good luck- there are a lot of people who make great progress without ever setting foot in a gym.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    If you don't like the gym, don't go! I actually had a similar revelation this weekend. My home workouts benefit me so much more than going to the gym. Truly, I mostly keep the membership for when I'm travelling.
  • JJBCPP
    JJBCPP Posts: 21 Member
    Going to the gym brought me to a new level of training not because of the equipment but because of the people. I have met so many like minded individuals that hold me accountable for showing up and push me when I get there. It was completely unexpected.

No doubt you can make progress at home but finding a community at a gym can make this a whole lot more fun.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I'm not a 'people' person, and have always hated the gym. I used to join gyms after looking at all the interesting class offerings...but never ended up signing up for a single class. I just don't want to deal with people. (ok, I'm an engineer, we have bad social reps)

I love working out at home. I have a squat rack, olympic lifting set, treadmill and bike. (and lots of dvd's to break it up).

I do keep a $10 Planet Fitness membership to cram in some cardio at lunch sometimes (hate sitting at my desk all day), but most of my 'real' exercise is done at home...

• ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    I'm the opposite - I halfass it at home.
    Do whatever works for you!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    are you following a structured work out routine/program, or just doing whatever you feel like?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Check out plyometric training. It is all body weight exercises that in my opinion build real use muscle and endurance. There are thousands of routines out there but I like this guys workouts. You can see the simple things in his gym and get creative on your own too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqjwF8rxRsotnojGl4gM0Zw

not really sure how plyo would build real muscle that a structured lifting plan would not...
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    ck2d wrote: »
    I'm the opposite - I halfass it at home.
    Do whatever works for you!

Me too, the couch is way too inviting once I am home. Space is also an issue, but even if I had more space, I am just not good at working out at home.
  • zaystgeorge
    zaystgeorge Posts: 1 Member
    a week for two months. I work out at home 2-3 times a week. I never get a good workout from the gym, I never feel sore and I just generally hate going there. I get a way better workout/ burn at home. At the gym the place is a mess, people hog the machines and stare you down. I dont feel comfortable, especially since I'm new and trying things out..but even when I push myself to complete my routine I just dont feel much of a burn. Alot of times im waiting around for ppl to complete a set, I'm wondering if I should just buy more gym equipment and stay home. anyone else have this problem?

Go on YouTube and type in anabolic aliens. Their channel has the best home workouts you don't even need equipment and their 5 mins each but they will burn you the *kitten* out. Give it a try!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member

Have you tried to go at a different time? I am the same way if I go at a busy time and everything is taken - I get frustrated and leave. Do you have a program that you're following? Do you go in with a set idea of what to do? It could help to have a trainer show you around the gym a few times and help you develop a plan. I know if I go in with a set list of what to do, and try to increase weight or reps every other session it will keep me feeling satisfied and like I improved my strength along with feeling motivated to get it all done.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Without an idea of your Programming, Planning, or goals. Discussion of location is secondary.