Comfort gone meatless

Options
Looking for some classic comfort foods made meatless.

Replies

• TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Cherilyn, do you ever use Tofurky products? The ground round is amazing, just like ground beef. You can use it in shepherds pie, chili, etc.
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Rice and beans. Corn and potatoes. Black bean burgers, in restaurants are awesome. It is with a veggie patty. I personally was meatless for ~5-6 years, but I must tell that it's not a good weight lose plan, since you easily calorie up with the mentioned carbs. I do remember dropping 15lb effortlessly in the beginning . Then had to tune down on rice and beans to reduce weight. Good luck.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Guacamole as pasta sauce is comfort food for me. Or a good vegetable bolognese with lots of red wine in it and maybe tofu chunks added in.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites:

Vegan mac and cheese.

Pinto bean enchiladas.

Field Roast sausages and mashed potatoes.

Potato soup.

Tofu scramble.

Falafel and hummus.

Corn chowder.

• evolvingseb
    evolvingseb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just typed out a huge response with recipes and it didn't post.
    If you want any recipes, let me know.

My go to for comfort foods (all vegan)
    Shepherds Pie
    Potato and Leek Soup
    French Onion Soup
    Cabbage Rolls
    Pretty much any pasta
    Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    chili (many variations).
    matzo ball soup
    potato knishes
    risotto
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I use Gardein or Beyond Meat products as a substitute. I use the ground crumbles in tacos and spaghetti. Would never know the difference.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    my favorite comfort food is mac & cheese - it's already meatless...plus, potato soup...mmmmm
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    my favorite comfort food is mac & cheese - it's already meatless...plus, potato soup...mmmmm

I second both of these! Plus, beans and cornbread, red beans & rice or homemade vegetable soup.
  • nw623
    nw623 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Being that Mexican food is a comfort food for me, tacos with ground up tofu and taco seasoning with beans, salsa, and corn tortillas. If you're vegetarian add cheese and/or greek yogurt. Otherwise there are plenty of vegetarian chills you can find that are perfect for cooler nights
  • mjmowbray
    mjmowbray Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    With the cooler weather approaching, I'm reaching for soup. Instead of chicken noodle, I cook a brown rice ramen noodle brick in some water, and in a second pan I quickly saute some yellow pepper, onion, broccoli, garlic powder, and soy sauce. Then add the noodles and the veg to a big bowl of vegetable broth. Super hearty and super satisfying. Can add Gardein or Morning Star chick'n if you feel like you need to.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I really like mushrooms sauteed in olive oil with garlic and lemon juice added at the end over pasta (salt and pepper to taste). This is not low calorie per se, but, if you have a half portion with a "naked" salad, it would still be pretty great.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Homemade split peas chunky style with lots of carrot and spices, and cottage cheese in the same bowl but next to the split peas. To me that is comfort food supreme!

(I still do eat meat, but not at home because my husband's pescetarian and a fantastic cook)
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Mushroom risotto. My favorite comfort food and I'm a meat eater.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Ain't none.

Veganism hasn't been around long enough for it to have 'classic comfort' to describe it.

Now, one classic comfort meatless food in my house is pinto beans and cornbread, but if you're not culturally Southern U.S., you know nothing of it.

Thats what I thought. But then discovered jackfruit. Amazing as a "pulled pork" in a slow cooker. Seriously. I love meat but this blew my mind. If done proper you would not tell this isnt pork.

My local Wal-Mart is bare of many shelves but none of them are labeled for jackfruit. They do have bags of cassava root. Is that similar?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Amazon sells canned or dried jackfruit.
  • twinklepies
    twinklepies Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Any asian grocery or market would have fresh jackfruit. Whole (they are huge) or in separated chunks. It gets my vote as well. Works well in curry.