Shoulder bursitis

Options
Help!

I hurt my right shoulder a few months ago (not sure how exactly, it just progressively got more painful and ROM slowly decreased). I just got to a dr (job change, moved states so lapse in insurance coverage) and it was diagnosed bursitis. I have a f/u this week to see if I should get a steroid shot but for now I'm on anti inflammatories.

My main form of exercise is lifting, which I haven't been able to do consistently the past few months. My question to you awesome lifters...what accessory lifts would you recommend? I can do lower body but upper body lifts are painful...I was doing stronglifts.

At home I have a barbell/bench/rack. My complex has a fitness center with weight machines (cable, lat/arm/curl, and multipress).

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    My husband had this Ended up having the surgery because it did not heal on its own after almost year. He fell on his side off a ladder setting up haloween decorations. Insurance paid for everything except the arm brace they gave him after surgery $200. (We fought that, but insurance said it was not medically necessary and not approved - aargh).
    Took about 6 months to heal. Just in case you make that decision. Shots and anti-inflamatories did nothing to repair the condition. Just eases the pain temporarily. I cannot imagine him lifting weights when he had the injury. I would really say: wait till the doctor gives you the ok. Hope you get a better answer.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I developed shoulder problems after doing strong lifts. Currently I can only do lower body weight stuff and have had to give up lifting for the time being. I'm (probably) a lot older than you and have other health issues but I agree with the above: wait until you've been given the all clear. Shoulder and neck injuries are damn miserable and affect everything you do
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Help! ...what accessory lifts would you recommend? I can do lower body but upper body lifts are painful.

My suggesrion is to NOT do any upper body lifting until the pain goes away completely after treatment and any PT.

This is coming from someone who had 2 (both left and right) rotator cuff surguries.

If you can do lower body lifting w/o pain fine, do it, but in order to avoid muscular imbalance you should probably focus on fitness and endurance over strength and hypertrophy.

Good luck!
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Help! ...what accessory lifts would you recommend? I can do lower body but upper body lifts are painful.

My suggesrion is to NOT do any upper body lifting until the pain goes away completely after treatment and any PT.

This is coming from someone who had 2 (both left and right) rotator cuff surguries.

If you can do lower body lifting w/o pain fine, do it, but in order to avoid muscular imbalance you should probably focus on fitness and endurance over strength and hypertrophy.

Good luck!

Well what can this stubborn woman add :p ? I was diagnosed with Shoulder Bursitis 2 months ago :'( . Went to Dr and he did a cortisone shot and "suggested" REST >:) . Well, I did not rest at all o:) . I kept on lifting every single day :D , shoulder twice a week, got home and pop some pain killer and then next day again. Well this past Monday I was on my last set for Lateral Biceps curl :o . Well we all know how it goes. Pump up the weight for the last set B) . Well on rep #6, I was having a hard time curling :s on the side where the Bursitis is. Comes #7 and CRACK :s . I just heard a crack and had to let go of the weights :'( . The pain is now unbearable and this lady is heading to the Dr this afternoon :/ . We are just so stubborn :| .

• mandyrene21
    mandyrene21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your suggestions! I am backing off from lifting for a bit longer. I really don't want to make things worse!

I did see my Dr yesterday and she suggested PT, I'm just waiting to hear back on when they can get me scheduled.

I'm so sorry all of you have had to deal with this too in some form or other! I hope you all heal quickly!