Body fat

Options
Just got a body fat calculator machine.
I'm a 22 year old male, height 180 cms and weight being 63 kgs.
It shows my body fat is 11 percent.
A few people told me earlier that's not possible.
Is it? And if it's 11 percent, is it good or bad?

Replies

• saurabh26
    saurabh26 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Also, Bone mass is 16% and muscle mass being 46 percent
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Possible and probable are very different things. Just one person in the world would make it possible!
    So possible for someone with your height and weight but no-one knows anything about you apart from that. You could be a couch potato or someone who has been seriously training for a few years....

Those type of scales can be horrendously inaccurate or near enough reasonable to give a trend over time. You would have to be very lucky to take one measurement and find it's accurate. Plot the trend over time and you may well see a range that's affected by hydration levels and time of day for example.

Post some pictures and people can give you an opinion if it matters to you.

11% good or bad? It's not either good or bad, it's a number. It's good if that's what your goal is - many men would be absolutely delighted to be 11% !

Description from Builtlean.com -

Body Fat Percentage Men 10-12%

This is a sustainable level for most men where you should be able to see your abs, but they will likely not be as defined as a man in the 6-7% body fat range. This body fat range is the classic beach body look that most men want and many women love. While not very defined, there is separation between muscles, some muscle striations potentially in the shoulders, or arms, but striations are not showing on every muscle. Vascularity is typically limited to the arms, with a little possibly on the legs.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned with your very low weight.
  • saurabh26
    saurabh26 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I just need to gain 7-10 kgs so I don't think that's a problem. I have already gained 17 kgs. Ik I will make it
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    saurabh26 wrote: »

I just need to gain 7-10 kgs so I don't think that's a problem. I have already gained 17 kgs. Ik I will make it

Glad to hear it :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm either at 8.9% (hydrostatic) or 13.3% (DXA) BF depending on which test you believe. Call it between 10-12%, since I'm pretty much as @sijomial describes above.

It was hard for me to achieve but I'm 66 going on 67, not 22. LOL!

I think it's a good BF% for a man to achieve and maintain. Not too low but just low enough to be noticeably "better" looking than those at 15% or above.

So, OP, if you are at 11%, I think you are at a good place and should try to do whatever you can to maintain it.

Good luck doing do as you age.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I am at 11% BF.....plus or minus (more on the 'plus'!).....