Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

School Food Policies

Options

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Teaching kids to think of unhealthy foods as a reward is not a good thing, and neither is forcing children to eat foods they don't want to eat. Either give cookies or don't but don't make them contingent on eating something else.

Yes, I grew up in a household which made me clean my plate before I ate dessert. And like the OP's children I learned to sneak snacks and binge on them as a result. Healthy children raised in cultures which don't use food as a reward don't naturally do this. It's taken me forty years to retrain myself that I can eat an appropriate amount of food because I can have more when I want it.

My kids aren't sneaking them. I was leaving them out in plain site. I work 12 hours shifts, so if I wasn't there to actually heat up the food I had prepped for them, they would just eat the junk food in arms reach.

lemurcat12 wrote: »
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    Children will always choose desire over common sense. It's up to adults to help the child to build good habits. Personally, I don't think cookies should have been offered at all. In my home, there is no desert. There is no sweet reward for doing what is expected of you. This creates a mind set that they should be rewarded for eating right which can lead to over eating later on in life instead of eating till you are full.

Remember the "Finish what's on your plate if you want desert." from childhood? Remember eating past the point of full just for a cookie or ice cream cone? Anyone regret or resent their parents for teaching them that? I do. I won't make my kids fat.. Junk is reserved for special occasions like birthdays and holidays.

I grew up in a finish what's on your plate if you want dessert home. I think it taught me good habits by teaching me which foods are important for health and which are treats.

Same here. I don't remember eating past the point of being full, but then, my mom always gave me reasonable portions. She started us with small portions and we were welcome to seconds if we wanted them.

Yes, this is me too.

I'm glad I was required to eat my vegetables, as I learned to like them. Overeating wasn't really an issue (and I was always a thin or normal weight child), maybe my mom just had a good sense of portion. (We also could usually get more if we wanted.)

Along with this, I should add that my parents allowed us to choose 1 veggie that we were exempt from eating. I chose squash hahah! I love squash now.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Along with this, I should add that my parents allowed us to choose 1 veggie that we were exempt from eating. I chose squash hahah! I love squash now.

Oh how I wish my parents had done that. I missed a lot of desserts because of broccoli.

*love your username!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

Oh how I wish my parents had done that. I missed a lot of desserts because of broccoli.

*love your username!

Yeah, I adored my older sister when I was younger, so I chose what she chose. Turns out, my mom hardly ever made squash! I wish I would've chosen lima beans (they would have let me get away as using them as my veggie). She cooked those darn things all the time! I have not touched a lima bean since I moved out!

And thanks! Those Angels are my fav Who villain!

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    In my family, perseverance in face of hunger was key. For me it was fish. Fish, to me, smell and taste disgusting. Gag inducing horrible. But mom served fish every Friday. 5 to 10 weeks of me happily agreeing to go hungry and not eat any Friday dinner or desert so I didn't have to eat fish convinced my mother that I could have leftover Thursday or Wednesday entree meal instead. For my brother it was ham. Like me with fish, he cant stomach the smell or taste. Again, he had to persevere, not complain and just choose to go without food at all the she gave in.

Lol, I still remember some of the enticing deserts she offered up as a reward for eating fish. To this day I don't touch fish or seafood, and get sick if a restaurant has a strong fishy smell ( which normal fish eating friends assure me is usually a sign of fish past it's natural "Best By" date.)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Don't see that the school did anything nefarious. Don't think the kid will suffer any long lasting damage, kids are pretty resilient. I also don't see anything wrong with kids getting one cookie as a snack. What our kids need to learn about foods like cookies and ice cream is moderation, not abstinence. Same thing with alcohol, food, etc.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I don't like this hard and fast categorization of the apple as healthy and the cookie as unhealthy. Food is more nutritious or less nutritious and contributes to people being healthy or not. Maybe the apple offers more nutrition than the cookie.. maybe, but maybe the kid ate fruit for breakfast and has fruit with lunch and will have fruit for a snack after school. Then isn't fruit as a snack at school a bit redundant? As has been said, the teacher set up an expectation and rightfully followed through, but I'm not sure it was the best way to approach the situation. Let's just say I'm glad I don't have to figure this out yet. I don't know what strategy I stand behind.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    well, my kids ate pretty much what ever they liked, we would introduced new foods, but never forced them to eat anything they did not like, we also introduced them into preparing their own foods at a young age two of my kids are in college the other in HS, all decent eaters, average weight actually on the thin side if anything. WE never micro-managed our kids diets, it was a mix of healthy and junk food.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I don't like this hard and fast categorization of the apple as healthy and the cookie as unhealthy. Food is more nutritious or less nutritious and contributes to people being healthy or not. Maybe the apple offers more nutrition than the cookie.. maybe, but maybe the kid ate fruit for breakfast and has fruit with lunch and will have fruit for a snack after school. Then isn't fruit as a snack at school a bit redundant? As has been said, the teacher set up an expectation and rightfully followed through, but I'm not sure it was the best way to approach the situation. Let's just say I'm glad I don't have to figure this out yet. I don't know what strategy I stand behind.

There would be no registered dietitians that would agree with this. Not likely to happen anyway as a small % of the population gets the recommended amount of fruit and veggies in their diets.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    There would be no registered dietitians that would agree with this. Not likely to happen anyway as a small % of the population gets the recommended amount of fruit and veggies in their diets.

Unfortunately, its sad when you learn the % of kids that aren't getting any breakfast or dinner so I agree
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Parents have to provide a packed lunch in Australia. Usually I pack a piece of fruit, 2 small fruit pillow biscuits and a wholemeal sandwich and sometimes a plain yoghurt. They generally eat it all. Occasionally one of my kids will grumble about what other kids get. But I'm not budging.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I take this as being more about actions and consequences than about health. Eat the apple = get a cookie. The teacher stuck to what she said. Kids need to learn the actions/consequences relationship. If your mommy throws a fit when you don't get the reward offered for something you did not do, how are you supposed to learn this. If she had been given a cookie anyway she would be learning that you don't actually have to do what is required of you to get the reward.