Losing weight just by counting calories?

Options
You can't lose weight by staying under your goal calories? Because I haven't lol I'm at 1200 and if I do go over, I'll go over by 50 at the most. How hard do I have to exercise yo shed the weight? I'm 5'1, 173.... my first goal is getting down to 150. Do I have to go low carbs? Because I'm on point with the calories...

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale at walmart.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Please open your food diary so we can take a look at your logging. Here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Yes you can lose weight with proper logging over TIME. No exercise necessary.

1200 sounds low for you in general, but if you have been logging for a month or so and are at that level you should lose weight.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I have lost eating over my calorie goal but I was still in a deficit. so a deficit is whats needed.
  • anipirakis
    anipirakis Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you aren't losing and you say you are at a low calorie count, then you aren't calculating them correctly. Weight loss is calories in versus calories out and all you have to do is create a deficit from your maintenance calories. I started February 27th this year and have not started working out, only changed my diet, and in 6-months I am down 75-pounds. I try to stick to around 1,200 calories a day, and some days I am a little over that and some days I am a little under, but I am still creating a deficit every day. I also eat extremely healthy and cut out fast food and processed foods. I weigh every single thing that I eat or drink though and I log it. I cook every day and log all of my recipes by weighing everything as I am making it. I am not saying you have to go to that extreme, but you would be surprised when you weigh and measure things how much you are actually consuming.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Its possible, but you'll be much healthier by exercising too. Keep checking that flowchart in the first response till you can get down to the bottom of it for a good start.
  • janelleu1
    janelleu1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find as long as I am accurately logging, and I stay within my calories allowance, I loose the projected amount of weight every week. I eat bread, meat, fruits and veg, dairy, and snacks. Granted, my allowed calorie intake is 1660 per day. I have had to find my balance between low calorie meals, such as lettuce, and actually having long lasting substance, such as meat and bread. So yes, simply counting calories works for me.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm taller, but started out about the same weight and lost at many more calories than 1200. I'm at maintenance at 153 now at 1800 plus exercise.
  • tinamae_vols
    tinamae_vols Posts: 42 Member
    Options