Night time munchies

Options
Hey all! I'm having a problem with controlling my appetite at night. I can eat a whole box of lucky charms!! I eat fairly well during the day but as soon as I'm done dinner I am looking for junk. Anyone have any tips? Thx!

Replies

• Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Get rid of the junk if it's possible.
    It's all about will power.
    And keep your favorite fruit or veggie snack for that purpose.
    I buy apples and grapes in case I get a sweet tooth after dinner.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I do a 12 hour fast. I have dinner and I force myself to quit eating for 12 hours. Have you ever fasted? It's not easy, but it could work for you too. (I do allow a mini chocolate after dinner).
  • Dodinator
    Dodinator Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you can get to Costco- salt of the earth bean crips. I think they are new to Costco because I've just recently discovered them there. 200 calories for 34 chips- and I'm usually full before then. Takes care of salt and crunch cravings and they're very tasty in my opinion :) maybe that will work for you! (They're much better than my previous go to snack- seasoned sunflower seeds that I could eat eternally).
  • nataliecuadrado2123
    Options
    I do a 12 hour fast. I have dinner and I force myself to quit eating for 12 hours. Have you ever fasted? It's not easy, but it could work for you too. (I do allow a mini chocolate after dinner).

I have fasted before. I would only eat once a day. It worked for a little while before I realized I was still eating all the wrong foods.
  • dawn_westbury
    dawn_westbury Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm having a problem with controlling my appetite at night. I can eat a whole box of lucky charms!! I eat fairly well during the day but as soon as I'm done dinner I am looking for junk. Anyone have any tips? Thx!

Same!!!!! I personally like popcorn at night.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Popcorn or frozen grapes
  • another_chelle
    another_chelle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge night time snacker. After dinner I go upstairs for the evening; as far away from the kitchen as possible. Also I try to keep low calorie snacks on hand in case I have to have something. My favorite is air popped popcorn.
  • ellencellogirl
    ellencellogirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. (Definitely eaten an entire box of sweet cereal in an evening before.) The only things I've found to work are having a designated snack in the evening at a particular time and distractions from food in general--going on a walk, calling relatives, doing housework I've been avoiding, etc. Hope that helps--best of luck!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Just tell yourself that it is a bit ridiculous to eat a whole box of lucky charms. It is. And if it's hard, get it out of the house. Plan for a 200 calorie dessert. Something high volume if you like to eat a lot. Popcorn or a pint of low calorie ice cream
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I usually plan out to have about 300 calories worth of snacks out of my calorie allowance for the day- therefore I choose to have a light breakfast- a bigger lunch then a smaller supper- so that I still have about 250-300 calories for different snacks each night - such as 100 calorie popcorn, box of raisins or another piece of fruit and even a serving of halotop- all of that for about 250-300 calories more or less- just allow yourself some calories for at night by eating one of your other meals a bit smaller
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Drink water, go on a walk. I save something 200 calories to eat after kids go to bed and I eat it. Halloween candy is out so lately I have been eating a fun size snickers and a mini Twix! Plan to do that every night changing it up fun size until Halloween. I love chocolate and candy and the fun size is just enough, because I make it enough. It's all about willpower. Find a pair of jeans you want to fit into and think about them every time you think you want to eat. Take it one second at a time eventually it will become easier.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

I have fasted before. I would only eat once a day. It worked for a little while before I realized I was still eating all the wrong foods.

What are the wrong foods?

Do you have any control over the food available to you in your home? If so, exercise control.
  • Alarmed_one
    Alarmed_one Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm a night time eater as well.... I save most of my calories to eat at night lol I know it's bad because I feel like we can lose more weight if we stop eating at a certain time. So instead I eat things like pop corn, cucumbers with chile and lemon, grilled zucchini, Greek yogurt, an apple..... stuff like that. I'm not an expert at all, but I feel like I'm doing ok....
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth soon after dinner. For me it's making a conscious decision that I'm done for the day.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    So much misguided advice.

It doesn't matter what time you eat. For weight loss, you can eat what satisfies you within your calorie limit.

I lost 80 lbs and have kept it off 17 months by doing that.

So long as you're getting the right nutrients throughout the week, and not eating too much or too little, it doesn't matter if you eat a treat in the evening.

I eat 75% of my calories an hour before bed, and I ran a marathon 3 weeks ago.

The question to ask is, are you still at a calorie deficit for the week (go to Diary, Nutrition, Calories, Week View on the app, and see if your net calories are about even)?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You have one of two choice, whichever feels more appropriate to you:
    - Force-quit night eating, it takes couple of weeks to get easier
    - Allocate calories for night time snacks

What would you rather do, eat smaller meals and more snacks or larger meals and fewer snacks? It's up to you.