if my family is not on board, then whats the point?

Options

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I don't know? What is the point for You?
    Maybe you think your health is less important than your husband and kids desire not to do kitchen chores. Maybe you think kids growing up knowing how to be polite and thankful at whatever they are served even if not there favoriteis not a good thing. Maybe you are worried about the future of the restaurant industry and think kids and husband don'tneed to learn to cook to keep future short order cooks employed.
    No really time for everyone eats the same meal different portions cooks choice and everyone over 10 cooks once a week at least
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Love all the ideas coming in..... but when I work 8-10 hours a day.. and she is the one cooking dinner.... what do you do? I make request for certain foods.... and I get it about once a week maybe twice.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @RandJ6280 what you do is weigh your portion.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    Love all the ideas coming in..... but when I work 8-10 hours a day.. and she is the one cooking dinner.... what do you do? I make request for certain foods.... and I get it about once a week maybe twice.
    RandJ6280 wrote: »

Then eat less or not at all at work.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have one big kid, my partner lol, and 5 children between the ages of 15 months to 18 years, I always put them first. Now I've decided to think about me for a change, I get complaints

Meal prep is your friend. You can cook up to a week's worth of food for you, freeze or store in the fridge, and you won't have to cook your meals every day. I also invested in a vacuum sealer just for this reason. I can not only meal prep everything but I can freeze in individual portions if I want. Just cook theirs, then eat what you prepped for yourself. You can't force someone else to eat healthy just because you want to, you'll be spinning your wheels. My family has, over time, begun to eat better (and thankfully my wife is now on board for the most part), but for the longest time I either made things differently for myself and them or made my meals separate or differently, or prepped them ahead of time. There are still times the family wants stuff like spaghetti.. I now just eat it anyway and try to plan ahead and eat less the rest of the day to keep the calories under control, but I've already lost my weight and it's now easier to maintain.
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options

Then eat less or not at all at work. [/quote]

Well I am trying I/F and if I don't eat breakfast and lunch....
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    My husband cooks for me a lot. He is a great cook and I am still quite the novice. He loves to add butter and oils and cheese and all sorts of delicious things. I don't complain, I just eat less of those things and always keep microwave veggies on hand for volume eating if I need to for calories. I just ask him to let me know what he used so I can log it.

@TavistockToad made an interesting point about why not make your kids eat healthier meals too. I know some kids are super picky, but exposure to a wider range of foods and healthy options seems like a reasonable thing to teach kids.

Lots of good advice to make your meals more modular, OP, among other good suggestions. Good luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    So sick of trying so hard to please others, and get no support back.

Cooking 3 different meals each night is draining, I cook mine last, but then can't be bothered. So I snack or under eat?!

Feeling sad atm.. I've lost weight, and I'm craving for encouragement from my family aswell... Yet no one says anything or helps in anyway
    Read this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10134341/you-arent-always-going-to-get-support/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Yeah I try but it always turns into me giving in and cooking for everyone else.. Then I guess I should really pretty cook my meals so its not so hard, I'm in this for the long run, so I guess they have to get used to it

stop giving in, if its what you want to do.

i never understand why people don't want their kids to eat healthy food...
    Lol, I don't think it's that. I think it has more to do with hearing less complaining. :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png