Switch to maintenance? Or keep losing?

Options
So, after months of struggling to break through a plateau, I switched up a few things, and the "last" 6lb came off quite easily. I am 5'5", and sitting at 135lb. That weight is fine.

But I'm still at a higher bf% than I want. About 28%. Am I better to keep cutting for another few months to get the bf down before I increasing my calories? Or am I better to try and recomp at maintenance? Pros and cons?

I have been strength training for only 3 months, so still a complete novice.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As a novice to strength training you are primed to build muscle quicker and easier than you ever will be again.

If you are happy with your weight then don't lose any more. Would suggest recomping for at least six months and then reassess. The key to your results will be the effectiveness of your training program and dedication to that program.
    That progress assessment will be helped massively by tracking measurements and taking progress photos, it's hard to see gradual improvements as the signs are very subtle while you still have a bit more fat than you would like.

By the way - how are you estimating BF% ?
  • ColwellCat
    ColwellCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am calculating bf% using callipers, and also tape measure circumference methods, which are all giving me 27-28%. I'd like to have a DEXA scan, but it's not currently in the budget - soon hopefully. I had one a few years ago which was 36%. I definitely agree re measurements for progress - I sat at the same weight for months, during which time I dropped 6+ inches from my waist measurements.

Thanks for your insight re recomp. I was confused by constantly hearing people talking about cutting/bulking cycles, as to whether doing both simultaneously was even possible.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bulk/cut is very over-hyped these days - unless you have extreme/advanced body composition goals it's really not required.

When I was growing up (a million years ago.....) the only people doing bulk/cut cycles were competition level bodybuilders and recomp didn't have a name apart from just generally being called "getting in shape".

It's not just possible to recomp it's a perfectly normal and usual process to add muscle over time when you are training effectively and use your energy stores (fat) for fuel.
    I sat at the same weight for months, during which time I dropped 6+ inches from my waist measurements.
    Wow!
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd consider bulk cut over hyped. All those "million years ago", people in general weren't so focused on what their body composition looked like. And whether you recomp or bulk/cut, it's with the same goal, to end up with more muscle and less fat, possibly at the same weight. And my understanding is that you can get there quicker with bulk/cut.

As to the OP, I am in a similar situation. I got to my target weight of 165 but too high a BF (20% by DEXA). So I tried about 4 months of recomposition with almost no change. Now I am cutting again to reduce body fat down. And then I will bulk back up to target weight or above. The reason is that you get better results adding muscle the lower your BF is.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd go with a very small deficit (200calories) and continue to strength train. If you are losing more than a pound every 3 weeks or so, add a few more calories. I'd aim for 80 to 100g of protein as well.