Really light-headed after exercise?

Options
oOxXxOo
oOxXxOo Posts: 75 Member
I need some advice.
Basically after exercising I feel really light-headed. Bad enough that when I finish I need to gather myself for a moment before I walk to the change rooms.
Is this a problem? Will it settle down over time?
I dont know if it makes any difference but I am 112kgs and I am just returning to exercise after quite a substantial break.

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Low blood sugar? What are you eating before you work out?
  • bzign
    bzign Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough before you exercise? I found if I don't eat something carby a couple of hours before my workout I was getting dizzy and uncoordinated also how much water are you drinking, if you are dehydrated then that will also make you lightheaded if you are working out.
  • oOxXxOo
    Options
    Low blood sugar? What are you eating before you work out?

Breakfast usually. I get up around 6am, do my food plan. Eat breakfast around 7-730am. Then I do kid stuff. Then I get to the gym about 945am. Work out for an hour.
  • oOxXxOo
    Options
    I usually have cereal with milk, a BIG serve...and some fresh squeezed OJ.
  • oOxXxOo
    Options
    Do you eat enough before you exercise? I found if I don't eat something carby a couple of hours before my workout I was getting dizzy and uncoordinated also how much water are you drinking, if you are dehydrated then that will also make you lightheaded if you are working out.

Maybe its the water. I take a bottle with 750mls but water has been an issue. I hate it. I drink the whole thing when I am there but maybe I need to drink a bit more before I go so I have a reserve.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    you should drink protein before a workout, and breath while exercising.
  • DazedBlonde
    Options
    It sounds like you might need to eat a little closer to your workout time and eat something a little more substantial.

Try getting some protein into your system about half an hour before you head to the gym. A handful of almonds, or a few ounces of baked chicken. Avoid doing cardio on an empty stomach---eating within the hour before your workout will really help.

And drinking the water before your workout is really important. If you wait until you're already burning the calories, you're setting yourself up to be dehydrated. You might also want to get a small bottle of Gatorade to help replenish your electrolytes---replacing the sodium and other minerals is just as important as replacing the water.

If you don't like water, look into Mio. I haven't tried it, but my coworkers (who can't STAND water) swear by it. Sometimes a little flavor is all you need. Good luck! :)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above advice, do you have access to a blood pressure (BP) machine? I have been taking HBP meds for almost a year. When I do intense cardio, my BP will drop VERY low (e.g. 86/59). I get light-headed and smell an intense copper-like scent as if I'm getting a nosebleed (no blood though). I convinced my doc to let me take a half-pill daily. My HBP remains in control, it'll still drop low but it rarely as low as before. Long story short, I have BP regulation issues and am currently working on finding a long-term resolution. Good luck to you.
  • gastlysmom
    gastlysmom Posts: 28
    Options
    try eating some good carbs ( bananas are good ) and make sure you are hydrated.. especially with the heat like it is right now.
  • oOxXxOo
    Options
    Awesome advice! Thanks so much to everyone who posted :D
  • gastlysmom
    gastlysmom Posts: 28
    Options

Maybe its the water. I take a bottle with 750mls but water has been an issue. I hate it. I drink the whole thing when I am there but maybe I need to drink a bit more before I go so I have a reserve.

i run and i can tell you that on days when i just wasnt drinking water i get all kinds of weird stuff.. dizziness, buzzing in the face, hands sweating out of control. be careful about sports drinks. if you read about them ( unbiased opinion) you will find they have way too much sodium and your body doesnt burn all the stuff youre putting in unless you are a serious exerciser.. like a competitive person .. to me, it looks like you are eating too many hours away from your workout time. eat smaller portions and eat like 90 minutes before you go to the gym. a couple of fig newtons is my favorite because they dont slosh in my gut or give me heartburn
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I had that happen for a while. I was working out in the mornings, too. The problem was that I was under-eating. Not enough calories to support my workouts. I increased calories and also moved workouts to afternoon or early evening after I'd had more to eat during the day.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I had that before, but I think it has reduced a lot in time. just make sure you eat enough especially on workout days.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    it happened to me when i first started working out or when i work out after a break.

Now it happens once in a while and i think (for me, anyway) it's the water.

Why don't you try changing your routie a bit and see if that works -
    eat closer to your workout (about an hour before)
    change what you are eating (I usually have a small banana or 2 whole wheat crackers and coffee, you should probably make sure to have carbs - maybe crackers and PB? And also - it's possible that OJ *isn't* the best thing for you - it may be giving you too much of a sugar rush)
    drink water before you start, during your work out and after. You don't have to love it but you have to drink it:laugh:
  • oOxXxOo
    Options
    I just thought I would put an update because I tried a few different things and appear to have worked (for me at least).
    I eat a small tin of tuna or some nuts about an hour before I go. I also make sure I drink plenty of water whilst I am there. I also found I need to spend at least 10 minutes still moving but properly cooling down before I leave. When I get home I drink about a litre of water to replenish.

It seems to have worked for the most part. I still get a little light-headed but no where near as badly as it was in the past. I am hoping the rest of it is really just me being unfit and will pass with time.