Reverse dieting..am I doing it right?

Options
I've been losing on 1750 calories for a while and then hit a standstill. Upon researching why, I stumbled across reverse dieting and it seems like it's something that will help get me out of this rut I am in. I've been dieting for 6 years now and I'm fed up of not getting the desired results and I'm pretty sure my metabolism is thinking wtf as I workout very hard and often, and I'm pretty sure I'm not fuelling my body efficiently.

My TDEE is around 2200. I'm increasing from 1750 to 1900 for a month and then I creaing by 100 calories for a months and then a further 100. I am changing my workouts to 2 upper body days and 2 lower body days and (50 min sessions) and will add 10 min of high intensity interval training at the end of each session. I will also weigh monthly to see how I fat in regards to my weight and body fat %.

I've increased my protein to 130g. My new macros are 200c/130p/60f

How does this sound? I want to gain muscle and lose fat

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I've been losing on 1750 calories for a while and then hit a standstill. Upon researching why, I stumbled across reverse dieting and it seems like it's something that will help get me out of this rut I am in. I've been dieting for 6 years now and I'm fed up of not getting the desired results and I'm pretty sure my metabolism is thinking wtf as I workout very hard and often, and I'm pretty sure I'm not fuelling my body efficiently.

My TDEE is around 2200. I'm increasing from 1750 to 1900 for a month and then I creaing by 100 calories for a months and then a further 100. I am changing my workouts to 2 upper body days and 2 lower body days and (50 min sessions) and will add 10 min of high intensity interval training at the end of each session. I will also weigh monthly to see how I fat in regards to my weight and body fat %.

I've increased my protein to 130g. My new macros are 200c/130p/60f

How does this sound? I want to gain muscle and lose fat

if you want to gain muscle and lose fat then you need to eat your maintenance calories(usually TDEE calories for many) and eat back any of your exercise calories to net that 2200.also find a progressive lifting program and follow that. if you eat in maintenance you should not gain fat. but muscle gains will take a lot longer than if you did a bulk(eating over TDEE).

but since you said you have been dieting for 6 years you definitely need a break from a deficit and trying to lose weight.just know that eating at maintenance to gain muscle is a very slow process.if you bulk you will also gain fat. it comes with the territory.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You already posted this... didn't you get the answers you wanted?
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You already posted this... didn't you get the answers you wanted?

I don't recall posting whether it was ok to add calories gradually. Nor did I previously breakdown what how I propose to train to get maximum results. I'm asking on this community because I need assistance from people who have experience as I don't trust myself enough to go it without getting advice first.

Is that ok for you?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am currently coming out of a 16 week deficit and I am reverse dieting into maintenance. However, I am not being very exact about it (because I don't log my food) but I would say I am adding anywhere from 100-150cals per day, and tracking my weight daily with a trend weight app. So that is how I do it, some people add cals faster.. depends how comfortable you are. You want to keep adding cals until you reach maintenance (remember it is a range, not one set weight) it can take some trial and error.

What program are you following? I would recommend you follow an established progressive lifting program (for optimal results).

Keep in mind, patience will be key as recomp can be a slow and gradual process.
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I am currently coming out of a 16 week deficit and I am reverse dieting into maintenance. However, I am not being very exact about it (because I don't log my food) but I would say I am adding anywhere from 100-150cals per day, and tracking my weight daily with a trend weight app. So that is how I do it, some people add cals faster.. depends how comfortable you are. You want to keep adding cals until you reach maintenance (remember it is a range, not one set weight) it can take some trial and error.

What program are you following? I would recommend you follow an established progressive lifting program (for optimal results).

I'm not following an actual programme though I know I should. Which do you recommend?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I'm not following an actual programme though I know I should. Which do you recommend?

I would check out this link..
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    I think it will ultimately depend on your goals and what kind of equipment you have access to. Also it depends what kind of program appeals to you. Some are more simple, some have more accessory work. The typical recommendations I see often are Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Thinner Leaner Stronger, also Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, etc. I ran Strong Curves and loved it, it was in line with my goals (mostly aesthetic, building and shaping my glutes).
  • halimaiqbal00
    Options
    Thank you for the link. I do have limited equipment at my gym so will have to find a few alternatives