When trying to find re-comp calories, how high up and down do you fluctuate your daily calories?

Options
I'm trying to find the right number of calories for a re-comp and am not sure how to get there.

I'm a woman, 33 years old, 5'6", around 125-127lbs. I sit ALLLL day at work and during my long commute but I do lift weights 2-3 times a week for about 40 minutes at time (5x5 program). I was eating around 1550 calories a day and was concerned that I was eating at a deficit instead of at maintenance. Over the course of 4 months or so, I had lost maybe a pound or two total. I was happy with that (the mummy tummy was flattening out a bit) but I don't want to eat at a deficit if it means I won't gain any muscle.

In the last few weeks I've upped my calories to 1750 but I'm not sure how to tell if this is enough, or too much. The quality of my work outs hasn't changed. It's not like I have more energy than before. I am weighing a little more than usual but my weight fluctuates 5 lbs + or - daily so I don't know that it means anything. The mummy tummy is pouching out again, but it could just be that I'm more full of food :)

What's the best way to figure out the right number of calories for maintenance/re-comp? Do I continue to eat at 1750 for a month and see what my weight is at? If I want to go up or down, should I change just an extra 100 calories at a time or more?

Thank you!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you may as well stick with 1750 now you're there... given your stats and the fact you arent very active it is probably around maintenance for you.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I would give it a month, making sure to log your weight to see trends, then adjust - 50-100cal as needed (I tend to adjust carbs mostly with slight fat, my protein stays static)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Recomp isn't only at a precise maintenance level - your body doesn't know when you are at a perfect TDEE and then throw a switch depending on your being slightly over or under. Think of it as a narrow band either side. How narrow that band is going to vary by the person.

When people make the blanket statement "you can't add muscle in a deficit" I hope they mean large deficit rather than thinking a deficit of minus 1 calorie!!
    (Or minus 58 calories if you divide your 2lb loss by 120 days.)
    In the last few weeks I've upped my calories to 1750 but I'm not sure how to tell if this is enough, or too much.
    Time (at least a month) and your weight trend will tell you. As you believe you are getting closer to the magic number make your adjustments smaller. Stick with your new number for now.