Energy levels very low

Options
Suggestions to keep energy up while cutting calories and losing weight? Experiencing fatigue..

Replies

• changingcindy
    changingcindy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just starting out as a newbie. Cutting calories and substitutes with foods like just making better choices (ex. Grilled not fried) working up to exercise gradually but my tired self just feels wiped out. I have been pretty inactive and just setting up better habits to get healthier.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    A few questions that might help to pinpoint what is wrong - What are your stats? Age. height, current weight and what have you cut your calories down to and how much more exercise are you doing now compared to what you did? Also, I haven't checked, but are your diary settings at public? Are you weighing all your food on a digital scale and measuring all your liquids? All these answers may be able to help find out what the problem is.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just starting out as a newbie. Cutting calories and substitutes with foods like just making better choices (ex. Grilled not fried) working up to exercise gradually but my tired self just feels wiped out. I have been pretty inactive and just setting up better habits to get healthier.

have you cut down your carbs or caffeine dramatically? how many calories are you eating per day?
  • sabal20
    sabal20 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree with feeling wiped when cutting calories and over exercising. I really struggled on Tuesday with 10 miles walking because I was keeping my calories down and had done 14 miles the day before.

I always make sure I'm taking supplements especially if I'm exercising just in case I miss them in my diet. Then you can be sure it's not that you're lacking iron or something. Listen to your body. If you need to eat, eat.

Don't cut food groups and try to choose foods that fill you up, grilled chicken and brown rice with veg is a great option. I also like chunky soups/broth. Choose things you like because (depending on your goals) you're in this for the long run.

I don't know how long you've been on the diet change but it'll take a few weeks to settle in.

You're doing great.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough carbs, especially before and after working out to fuel your workouts, and enough protein to repair your muscles after workouts. It doesn't have to be much, just a glass of milk or piece of fruit at the right time can work wonders. Are you feeling tired all the time, or more tired at particular times of day? Also, you might consider taking an iron supplement, since it can be hard for women of reproductive age to get enough iron while eating at a deficit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to your body - it speaks a foreign language that most people don't understand (hence the reason majority are here to lose weight) unless you've done some research and know how to translate.

Use your brain. But learn first.

For instance - with all your food swapping and increased exercise - you may have blown right past the healthy axiom of move a bit more and eat a bit less to lose fat.

You sound like you are eating way less and moving a whole lot more.

How much to lose to reach healthy weight?
    A reasonable deficit helps there.

Are you using the program correctly and logging decent workouts honestly, and therefore eating more when you do them?

So ditto to probably eating more - sadly your body can be ruined and not feel hungry - but fatigue is great lesson to learn to eat more before you get used to it and accept it is new norm.
  • ryanw382
    ryanw382 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found taking vitamin and mineral supplement really help. For me hunger isnt tge problem its the energy iron tablets really help. I take two multivits a day
  • changingcindy
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My dr has prescribed Adipex for me now. Do any of you have knowledge or experience using this for weight loss? She said since I have lost 25 lbs on my own and she is very happy about it. Haven't started taking it yet. Have been reading up on it and reading reviews, some were on Fitness Pal.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    These side effects could make it interesting not only for exercise but daily life:
    headache, dizziness, tremors;
    sleep problems (insomnia);
    dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth;
    diarrhea or constipation, upset stomach;

Also - this makes you not want to eat.

If body already wasn't getting enough calories and energy levels in the tank - this isn't going to help.
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yes, I used phentermine several years ago. I remember it helping for the first 3 or 4 months, then I think I got desensitized to it. I don't remember any side effects really, but it did increase energy.
  • changingcindy
    Options
    Thanks. As of right now I'm on the fence. :#:#
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Thanks. As of right now I'm on the fence. :#:#

Is the fence close to a toilet?

I'd question a Dr prescribing this to someone who was doing so well on their own.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I usually experience low energy when I'm under eating and over exercising, creating a deficit that's too big.... What are your stats, and your routine?

This is important. Definitely double check your stats and deficit. If you're not getting enough fuel, you will feel fatigued. It also might be worth it to ask your doctor for a test to determine your vitamin, mineral, and micronutrient levels. Certain deficiencies can cause fatigue as well.
  • changingcindy
    Options
    The doctor said she wanted me to show her that I could do it and this was an option to get a kick start. Thanks everyone