Progress is so slow

Options
Lately, it feels like no matter what I do – I am unable to make progress.
My weight is not going down, and my measurements are not going down..
It’s really frustrating! I don’t know what to do to get the scale to move down…sometimes it starts to feel hopeless, like your not ever going to see any change!

Replies

• Squirrel1992
    Squirrel1992 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I've been working at this for 3 months and initially I saw progress which was highly motivating. However in the last 2-3 weeks my motivation has severely waned. I just don't know how to get it back and get back on track.
  • SpirituallyBlonde
    Options
    Fat *kitten* or no fat *kitten*? that's usually enough for me to get my *kitten* moving - skinny *kitten* for meeeeee!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    How long is "lately"? My guess is that you're experiencing the normal parts of the process - stretches where things go really well, and other stretches where it seems like you're spinning your wheels.

Life isn't a magazine cover. You're not going to lose 21lbs in the first week or whatever other headline you want to believe. Similarly, progress is rarely going to be consistent. If you've made progress in the past, then make sure you are doing now what you were doing then. If not, get back to it. If so, then just be patient.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Oh one other thing let's say you lose 0.2 lbs a week. That is still more than 10 lbs a year.
    Time is on your side.

I wonder if that's encouraging to most people... Making effort every single day for 10lbs per year? I'm not trying to be snarky, it's a legit question. If someone told me that, if they said, "Hey, do the best you can and you can reasonably expect to lose 10-15lbs over the course of a year" I'd probably just accept that I'm going to be fat forever. That is nto a good return on investment for me.

I suspect that the deficit needed to lose 0.2 lbs a week would be pretty dang easy - we're not talking an hour of cardio and a 1000 deficit a day. More like swapping the afternoon soda for an ice tea.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    did you put on the weight you are trying to lose overnight? I would guess that you probably gained in similar to the losing .2lbs a week - it just slowly snuck up on you

I'm in the firm camp of any progress towards your goals is good progress - and that small incremental steps is the way to go (i.e. if your overall goal is to lose 50lbs, then focus on 5lbs, then another 5)
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My question for you is whether you are giving yourself more benefit of the doubt. Maybe you are trying in some areas, but there's always the chance you aren't being honest with yourself (not personal, but common).

The flow chart is excellent though, and I wish you all the luck. Feeling like you are stuck is a bummer.

Someone once told me that if I feel stuck in my fat loss to change one variable for a week and see how it goes. Eat 300 calories less per day for a week or workout slightly more or differently.

If you believe you can do it, you can do it!
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Oh one other thing let's say you lose 0.2 lbs a week. That is still more than 10 lbs a year.
    Time is on your side.

I wonder if that's encouraging to most people... Making effort every single day for 10lbs per year? I'm not trying to be snarky, it's a legit question. If someone told me that, if they said, "Hey, do the best you can and you can reasonably expect to lose 10-15lbs over the course of a year" I'd probably just accept that I'm going to be fat forever. That is nto a good return on investment for me.

I suspect that the deficit needed to lose 0.2 lbs a week would be pretty dang easy - we're not talking an hour of cardio and a 1000 deficit a day. More like swapping the afternoon soda for an ice tea.

That assumes that someone is happily eating at maintenance with no work/effort/thinking what so ever. That's not the case for most of us. For most of it, it takes work to maintain. So to work harder, just to lose 10lbs over the course of the year? No thanks. I'd rather bust my *kitten* for 3 months and be more or less done with it.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Whenever I see someone come here and talk about how hard it is to stick to their calorie goals, someone will always tell them to reduce their weightloss goal to 1lb per week. That is fine if you don't have much to lose, but for the person who needs to lose a lot, having it take 2 years seems like a prison sentence.

is it better to set weight loss to 1lb a week and consistently lose weight without falling off the proverbial horse, or be more aggressive and routinely scum to temptation and have cheat days because of the restrictions?

Are those the only 2 options? What about cutting really aggressive for a short period of time, then leveling off into a more balanced/sustainable diet?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Time is on your side.

I think that on the surface, that sounds like an easy plan, but how many of us make a simple change like that and find themselves thinner at the end of the year without trying anything else. Most of us will make other, not-so-great changes as well that completely counter-act the slight deficit ("oh look, a frozen yogurt shop opened up nearby!" or "mom's gotten into baking, now I always have cookies at home!").

Whenever I see someone come here and talk about how hard it is to stick to their calorie goals, someone will always tell them to reduce their weightloss goal to 1lb per week. That is fine if you don't have much to lose, but for the person who needs to lose a lot, having it take 2 years seems like a prison sentence.

I don't know, maybe there's some expectations that need adjusting. It was a simplistic response to the question, yes, but I really do believe that starting slow is a great way to do this. I started off this past January needing to lose 75 lbs and I actually DID set myself a two-year goal. That's just under a pound a week for 24 months. Lots of room to learn. It's been going pretty well so far. Not only am I feeling better and weighing less than I did when I started (I'm down about 29 lbs) but I feel completely in control and confident that the changes I'm making will last. I don't feel like I'm on a diet at all.