Gain muscle/lose fat = calorie deficit?

Options
Hi everyone, 28yo male, been lifting a few years on and off. Started at about 125-130lb, now I way 160lb. I want to thin out my face and stomach but build lean muscle. My question is if I should be in a calorie deficit to lose weight or a caloric surplus to add muscle.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    You can do resistance training now, to strengthen and preserve the muscle you have. If you're looking to lose weight, you may build a small amount of muscle at the beginning, but in general you burn fat in a deficit and build muscle in a surplus.
  • mmakerjg
    mmakerjg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For the first week I stuck to 2kcal/day while doing cardio and lifting heavy and I did notice being a bit more lean. Had some all you can eat places and traveling for work kinda threw me off this last week.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    gportman08 wrote: »
    If you want to build muscle do not reduce your calorie intake. Eat 6 meals a day. Lots of protein, carbs. Do heavy weights and include cardio 3x per week. Once you bulked up you can reduce your carb intake and reduce weights and higher reps for weightlifting and up your cardio

There is pretty much nothing here that makes any sense.

OP, other than newbie gains or returner gains, losing fat takes a deficit and gaining muscle requires a calorie surplus. You have to decide what is most important to you first. Gaining muscle or getting leaner and thinner looking. We can't decide that for you. What is your body fat %? If you don't know, post some pics and people will help give you a sense of direction.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mmakerjg wrote: »
    Hi everyone, 28yo male, been lifting a few years on and off. Started at about 125-130lb, now I way 160lb. I want to thin out my face and stomach but build lean muscle. My question is if I should be in a calorie deficit to lose weight or a caloric surplus to add muscle.

>
    If you want to do both, you'd have to est at maintenance and be willing to give it a lot of time. Otherwise chose one or the other. But if you are overfat, then cutting is ideal. Muscle gains favor the lean.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    gportman08 wrote: »
    If you want to build muscle do not reduce your calorie intake. Eat 6 meals a day. Lots of protein, carbs. Do heavy weights and include cardio 3x per week. Once you bulked up you can reduce your carb intake and reduce weights and higher reps for weightlifting and up your cardio

There is no reason, outside of personal preference, to eat 6 meals a day. And going low weight high rep is the worst thing to do while cutting. Not only will you be adding a ton of volume, which makes it harder to recover in a deficit, you will also kill strength gains that happened while bulking. If anything is keep weight high while cutting or at least do undulating periodization, where you mix reps/weight schema.