Gone vegetarian

Options
I have given up all meat except shrimp (occasionally). This includes no dairy or eggs. Any suggestions for meals. I am also making a lot of meals from scratch so I can control ingredients. I need something sweet too.

Replies

• BlackCoffeeBabe
    BlackCoffeeBabe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Google vegan recipes, you will find lots and lot out there! x
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Regular vegetarian meals in my house:

Egg and lentil curry (basically Patak's curry sauce plus extra ginger and onion, add smallish cubes of potato, carrot and eg sweet potatoes, red lentils - and water. Bubble away. Cook rice separately. Add hard boiled eggs at end to curry.)

Veggie chilli - tons of recipes on line. I just make it up fresh each time - e.g. chilli tomato can, extra chilli, onion, lots courgettes, can of mixed beans

Pasta and pesto

Mushroom and ricotta cheese lasagne (I usually make with frozen mushrooms. It is a 5 minute assembly i.e. Cook up some onions add mushrooms, ricotta and seasoning and layer up. So a quick prep and leave in the oven job for rushed eves. I use a large yoghurt pot with egg mixed in and seasoning for the topping. Serve with green salad.)

Aubergine and red kidney bean stew

Leeks rolled up in puff pastry with creamy mushroom sauce - it's really good

Veggie topped pizzas - buy artichokes in cans/jars, that makes them special

Caramelised onion with rosemary spread on puff pastry

I am sure you know this - but you will need to check your minerals/proteins/vitamins/iron etc if switching fully.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

Egg and lentil curry (basically Patak's curry sauce plus extra ginger and onion, add smallish cubes of potato, carrot and eg sweet potatoes, red lentils - and water. Bubble away. Cook rice separately. Add hard boiled eggs at end to curry.)

OP said no dairy or eggs.

So, no eggs and lentil curry.
    Veggie chilli - tons of recipes on line. I just make it up fresh each time - e.g. chilli tomato can, extra chilli, onion, lots courgettes, can of mixed beans

Pasta and pesto

Veggie chili is OK.

Traditionally, pesto is made with dairy cheese.
    Mushroom and ricotta cheese lasagne (I usually make with frozen mushrooms. It is a 5 minute assembly i.e. Cook up some onions add mushrooms, ricotta and seasoning and layer up. So a quick prep and leave in the oven job for rushed eves. I use a large yoghurt pot with egg mixed in and seasoning for the topping. Serve with green salad.)

No ricotta cheese. No yogurt (or are you just talking about using the container you make yogurt in?). No egg.

The aubergine and red kidney bean stew is OK (just don't call it eggplant, :smile: )

I suppose one could try to make puff pastry with some sort of vegan saturated fat, but traditionally it's made with butter, and if you buy it pre-made, I think you're going to have a hard time finding a nondairy version. Not sure what goes in your creamy mushroom sauce. Mine has dairy.

Are you talking about cheeseless or vegan cheese pizza?

no again to the puff pastry.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    For desserts -- have you heard of using bean water (from cooking dried beans, or from canned beans like chickpeas, etc.) as an egg substitute in making desserts (meringues and baking. Lots of recipes on the Internet.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I find that Asian food translates really well to vegan, and if you will eat shrimp, you have a lot of possibilities. Have a Google, there are some amazingly delicious possibilities.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite vegan dishes is a lasagna with lots of veg https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/herbed-tofu-lasagna-with-zucchini. The recipe calls for just zucchini, but I use zucchini, red bell peppers, and mushroom, or whatever I happen to have around. The tofu substitute for ricotta is great. Vegetarian times has great recipes and tips for vegetarians, vegans, and those of us who don't intend to give up meat and dairy, but like a change now and then. Even better the 2nd day than it is the 1st.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

OP said no dairy or eggs.

So, no eggs and lentil curry.

Pasta and pesto

Veggie chili is OK.

Traditionally, pesto is made with dairy cheese.

No ricotta cheese. No yogurt (or are you just talking about using the container you make yogurt in?). No egg.

The aubergine and red kidney bean stew is OK (just don't call it eggplant, :smile: )

I suppose one could try to make puff pastry with some sort of vegan saturated fat, but traditionally it's made with butter, and if you buy it pre-made, I think you're going to have a hard time finding a nondairy version. Not sure what goes in your creamy mushroom sauce. Mine has dairy.

Are you talking about cheeseless or vegan cheese pizza?

no again to the puff pastry.

Not all puff pastry has animal products -- last time I checked, Pepperidge Farm puff pastry was fine.

Also, there are recipes for vegan puff pastry out there. Miyoko Shinner's "Homemade Vegan Pantry" has one, I believe (I haven't tried it yet).
  • sarahmccracken87
    sarahmccracken87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have given up all meat except shrimp (occasionally). This includes no dairy or eggs. Any suggestions for meals. I am also making a lot of meals from scratch so I can control ingredients. I need something sweet too.
    Veggie Chili is my absolute favorite!
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    RED LENTIL AND PUMPKIN SOUP

2 cups red split lentils
    1.5kg pumpkin (grated)
    1 large sweet potato (grated)
    2 brown onions (diced)
    1 litre vegetable stock
    2 tablespoons yellow curry paste
    1 tablespoons crushed garlic
    1 litre water

Add vegetables to a large stock pot with a little olive oil. Simmer five minutes with curry paste and garlic.
    Add vegetable stock and water. Bring to boil. Place on lid. Simmer for 25 minutes until tender.
    Serve.
    Suitable to freeze.

• theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    CITRUS AND CABBAGE SALAD

Half cabbage (shredded )
    200gm baby spinach
    1 cucumber ( thinly sliced )
    Half punnet cherry tomatoes ( cut in half)
    4 radish ( thinly sliced )
    2 red apples ( sliced thin)
    2 oranges (sliced thin )
    2 mandarins ( segmented )
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    Salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in bowl.
    Stir well.
    Place in airtight container.
    Leave for two hours before eating.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I posted this once and I'm posting it again because it tastes so good and so filling (I used white potatoes).

https://thehappypear.ie/recipe/coconut-and-green-lentil-dahl/
  • andfivesixseveneight
    Options
    I highly recommend Vegan Under Pressure as a basic cookbook if you can invest in a pressure cooker. It has so many delicious recipes and ideas, there's a good section on meatless patties too. Personally I really love Indian food as it is vegan friendly. Manjulas kitchen is a great website.
    You can make many of your favorite recipes vegan through substitution. This is a handy tutorial on ingredient conversions:
    http://www.veganwolf.com/vegan_cooking_substitutions.htm
    It's easy to make your own aqua faba (egg substitute). Just boil dried chickpeas in water, strain out the peas then boil down the cooking liquid until viscous. I freeze it in mini muffin tins then store in freezer to thaw in microwave when needed. Substitutes for eggs in desserts- even meringue!- but is used to make vegan butter and mayonnaise too.
    And the cooked chickpeas can be made into Chana masala, hummus, mock tuna salad, and so much more. This site has some neat ideas:
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/ways-to-use-the-entire-can-of-chickpeas/
    Hope you have as much fun cooking vegan as I do. There's always something new to try!