Should I bulk or cut?

Options

8316v4womovj.jpeg

I’m around 147-150 lbs and wanna gain some muscles but not sure if I should cut first

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    DYEL? ;) jk What program are you using? Is it a progressive lifting program?
  • CheyGal18
    CheyGal18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym here in my town
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I can't see much of your physique with that photo. Do you know your approximate bodyfat%, what kind of definition do you have? What is your height?

If you are around 20% bf (or below) I would go for the bulk. If you are much higher than 20%, I would cut first. If you are borderline then you could go either way, but keep in mind it can become more difficult mentally to deal with the fat gain that comes with the surplus, as well I have heard nutrient partitioning is affected (so you may gain more fat than muscle compared to if you started leaner).
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    CheyGal18 wrote: »

Are you following a progressive lifting program or just doing whatever exercises come into your head?
  • CheyGal18
    Options
    I am 5’8 and I’m naturally a bigger boned person not to petite I guess is right words but I ain’t a pro at lifting I been lifting for about 1 year or so stopped for a lil while because of personal reasons now just back at it
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

But what do you do there?
  • CheyGal18
    Options
    I workout 4 to 5 days a week about an hour or so each session lifting heavy and I follow a plan
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I workout 4 to 5 days a week about an hour or so each session lifting heavy and I follow a plan

The plan is essential to what answers you may receive. What plan are you following?
  • sardelsa
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If you feel ready to bulk, then go for it. You will gain fat too, but it can be minimized by keeping the surplus smaller (I would aim for 0.25-0.5lb gain per week), by starting off leaner as I mentioned and making sure your programming is adequate.

If you still don't feel lean enough, then I would cut.

Do you have any specific goals, other than gaining muscle all over?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

You are allowed to give more than one line answers..... :)
    Only you know your past history, your current routine and your future goals.

• CheyGal18
    Options
    I really wanna gain muscle I know it requires to add some fat too but I’m ok with a lil extra I don’t really like being to petite, it looks good on some others but not me in my opinion. I don’t have a Trainer I made up my own plan and it seems to be working so far. In past I lost 80 lbs and was at one time 127lbs I didn’t like it on me.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I would follow a program for best results especially if you decide to bulk.. cutting you can more easily get away with it, but when you bulk the ballgame changes big time.
  • CheyGal18
    Options
    Money is tight so professional help with this will have to wait a lil while sadly
  • CheyGal18
    Options
    I agree with you, can you tone up on maintenance calories?
  • CheyGal18
    Options
    brgchndhn66w.jpeg

Some r saying they can’t see the other pic well so maybe this is a better one
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    There are lots of free online plans you can follow......it will make a massive difference in my opinion whatever route you decide to go.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Money is tight so professional help with this will have to wait a lil while sadly
    If you've made up your own plan, I suggest switching to a plan written by professionals, following it solid for 6-8 months while in maintenance and then deciding where you want to take your bulk or cut.

Here's a great thread with awesome lifting plans.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You don't need a trainer or professional, see the link posted above just in case you missed it

I still don't see most of your body, not that you have to show it, but maybe from the front and back even with really tight workout clothing.

But regardless, you can eat at maintenance and lose fat and gain muscle over time. It is a slow process however.. and it depends on your ultimate physique goals (ex. do you want to compete? Do you want to look like a bodybuilder? Do you have a certain time frame in mind? etc)

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I agree with you, can you tone up on maintenance calories?

Yes, of course...

I've been in maintenance for about 4.5 years and my physique has changed considerably in that time and continues to evolve...

The thing is, everyone wants instabody...thus all of the 30 day this and that. None of the people marketed on stuff like that got their physiques in 30 days of anything...a fitness/athletic physique is developed over time by living that kind of lifestyle.

Even people who do bulk/cut cycles spend years developing their physiques.

ETA: you already look pretty good...so you're starting from a good place.