Simple weight training?

Options
I would like to know some simple exercises for arms, legs, maybe upper shoulders. I'm already doing core (planks, Super Man/hunting dog, and one that's laying on back and pedaling an air bicycle, etc.) for physical therapy for my back.

I have heart failure because of cardio-pulmonary birth defects. My cardiologist says I need to stay active to keep it going as long as possible. He wants me to do mild cardio 30 minutes 3 x week (we decided I'll do my stationary bike), and also to gain 10 pounds in muscle mass. So I'm not looking for any hardcore body building, just enough to gain some weight and tone, the other 3 days of the week.

I have 5 resistance bands that I'd like to use, instead of buying a whole bunch of new weights. I was considering hiring a professional trainer to come to my house and help (right now I'm home bound and frail, my doctor says if I get sick (cold, flu, pneumonia, etc.) that I most likely wouldn't survive, so I really don't want to go to a public gym and get exposed to a bunch of germs ;) ). But most trainers are about $50 an hour... my budget is $50 per month! So even at only 1 session a week, I couldn't afford it.

Currently I weigh 80 lbs, and maintaining on 1,600 calories. I can gain on 2,000, but with the added exercise I'll probably need to do 2,500+

Replies

• edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Read through the links at the top of the forum in the sticky.

As a beginner, the best exercises for gaining muscle mass are compound exercises. The big four are squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, and bench presses. You can use bands for at least three of those; four if you have a bench. If you don't have a bench, use pushups instead of the bench press. Bodybuilding.com has a huge video library of exercises that includes bodyweight and band-based exercises. So does Youtube. You can watch those for proper form on the exercises. Select a progressive overload program. The sticky contains a link to a huge list of workout programs; although, I don't know if a band based workout program is in there, but bodyweight programs are.

Nutritionally, you must eat in a surplus of maintenance calories (the links in the sticky explain this). Building muscle mass is very difficult if you don't give your body the raw materials to do so. Expect 1 pound of muscle per 1 pound of fat gained if everything is optimum. So, if you need 10 pounds of muscle, plan on gaining 20 pounds at a minimum. Realistically, plan on 30.

Given your health issues, talk to your doctor about your plans before you start to make sure you will be safe.