Skinny but want to gain weight and muscle

Options
Hey just got this app because the wife told me to lol. I'm 30 years old I weigh about 130lbs I'm 5'7 and I'm sick of being like a tooth pick. Is there any pointer on a healthy proper way to gain weight and muscle? Thanks.

Replies

• Don112286
    Don112286 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks, I will check it out.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Select your goal weight and use the app.

Train with weights 2-3 times per week on a full-body program using basic compound movements.

There are no secrets.

160-170 lbs would be a good weight for you to shoot for.

Stick with it and have fun. Enjoy training.
  • Don112286
    Don112286 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate the reply!
  • optionsguy88
    optionsguy88 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Me too
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I will give a little more detail.....

So, gaining weight in a healthy way is going to take two things:

1. eating in a caloric surplus
    2. a properly configured progressive overload resistance training (aka, weight lifting)

So, you need to figure out what your maintenance caloric intake is (this is where you do not gain any weight but you do not lose any weight). There are "tdee calculators" on-line. Use one. Keep in mind, however, that this information is going to be a starting point. Whatever that number is (you provide your age, gender, weight and height) please do not take it as "this is my number....this is what I need to eat daily". It is no more than a good starting point. You will need to play with this to find your true maintenance caloric intake.

Once you find out what that number is for you, you need to figure out what your current caloric intake it. I mean, that makes sense, right?

Then you need to do resistance training. That link that @RoxieDawn provided you has a ton of good information in it. The "which lifting program is best for you" link will give you a lot of great ideas. Follow a plan. Don't make one yourself. Follow a plan exactly as it is laid out. Do not modify it at all. You get the picture? LOL!

I am going to start the Strong Lifts 5x5 Program once I can get back in the gym. That one seems to be popular. There is an app for your phone (iPhone or Android) and it has an Excel Spread Sheet for it.

If you want, feel free to PM me and I will point you to several folks that can help you. Or, you can ask me here in this forum so that all can learn. If you do PM me, I will update everyone in this forum as to what I provided you so that everyone can learn.

I am suggesting PM simply because threads tend to get hijacked with a bunch of questions that detract from the original question.....anywy, your call.