Gaining Weight

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I'm a 27 year old female with a pretty naturally petite build - 107 pounds and 5'4. I'm technically underweight, even though I don't try to be at all. I don't even exercise (other than walking my dog) and I don't even eat that healthy. My story is a little unusual because I have hypothyroid (the slow thryoid), which means that usually people like me with HYPOthyroid are overweight. You would think that I would have HYPERthyroid (the fast one) being skinny, but I do not. For those of you interested in this health topic, my bloodwork always comes back normal and my medication has always been the right dosage. I never minded being skinny or slightly underweight but my periods are very irregular (not very often at all). For the ladies out there who have this, you understand how this can affect fertility. My hope is that if I gain just a few pounds, my cycles will regulate a bit more and I can hopefully become pregnant. It really concerns me as far as reproductive health goes. So gaining weight is essential. Since I never work out, I am also interested in beginning this process. If anyone knows any good recipes for weight gain or any good smoothie recipes, I am all ears. It's a bit different being someone who is trying to gain weight rather than lose it but we all have our own battles.

Thoughts or advice?

Replies

• EsmeMary101
    EsmeMary101 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hello I wonder if uve tried logging what u eat for a couple of days/weeks and when u have an idea of how many calories u are eating you could add to it by eating a little more, as in up your portions abit.

Sorry I'm not much help but I wish you well. Good luck.
  • owlsandcoffee
    owlsandcoffee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Coleteo. I've never tried it before but my new plan is to try to consume 2000 calories per day. I never eat everything on my plate because I get full fast but I'm going to really challenge myself this time around
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and full fat dairy are good places to start.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yep, nuts and nut butters, full fat dairy, oils in cooking and dressings, avocado, if you're a cereal eater toasted muesli is usually pretty calorie dense.
  • xniiamh9933
    xniiamh9933 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I'm also trying to gain weight and as I find it hard to eat 2000 and upwards of calories I started making a shake that's roughly 1,100 calories and I have it every morning so as to not fill myself too much for the day.
    It consists of; 3 heaped tablespoons of blended porridge oats, 500mls of full fat milk, 1 heaped tablespoon of smooth peanut butter, 1 full fat flavoured yoghurt of choice, 1 scoop of protein powder and 1 banana all blended together.

Hope this helps
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ Great first post. I was going to suggest a Milk Shake or shake of some sort. I occassionally get someone a milk shake from a local chicken place (the one that is not open on Sundays). And, that particular milk shake has 1,200 Calories. Hawt dang! Unless there is an issue with the 'content' of that milk shake, that sounds like a good way.....possibly, anyway.
  • RG0313
    RG0313 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to add at least 500 calories on to what you usually eat.
    Also drink shakes and smoothies if you have trouble getting enough calories. I like to add coconut oil to my smoothies. I like it because it is fairly high in calories (about 130 calories a tablespoon) and high in fat. You really can't taste it so you can add it to any kind of smoothie or shake.
    I have a pretty similar story to yours and eating 2100+ calories a day has helped me gain and see results pretty quickly.

Also if you are finding that you are having trouble digesting more food, for example your stomach is upset from eating more than you're used to, try super enzymes before large meals.
  • dishapatel2291
    dishapatel2291 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try eating with ur frnds n family. This way u wont realize how mch u r eating n u ll b abl to continue eating till ur frnds finish:) just a suggestion. M skinny since last 10 years now n m changing it. Starting to intake atleast 2k calories per day which will add up to weight lill bit as m only 95 pounds