Help...I'm gaining muscle...AND fat! Why.

Options
hcarb001
hcarb001 Posts: 28 Member
I track my macros, and I'm pretty consistent with it. 5/7 days a week, just so I'm not so type A and obsessed with it like I have been in the past. I've recently been lifting way heavier weights, and I have noticed muscle gain, especially in my back and shoulders. My lower body has also put on muscles in my quads and it seems like my butt has gotten bigger too. But I've definitely lost definition my my abdomen. Last night, I broke my personal rule of not using a scale....and I'm currently at 138, where in the past I had gotten down to 127. I'm not happy with that number increase. Please help me so I don't look like a fat piece of poop that can lift heavy things.

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring muscle gain? How recently did you start lifting? How much muscle do you think you gained? Do you count your calories? Are you trying to eat in a surplus?

Any time you put on muscle, you will gain fat. You can't just gain muscle.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    First, what are your goals...are you trying to gain weight? If you are bulking.. you will gain fat along with muscle (although you can reduce the amount you gain), there is really no way around that. Then once a desired look or amount is gained, many will typically run a cut to strip the fat gained to reveal the muscle.

If you are trying to recomp (maintain your weight), then you should not be gaining (unless it is a fluctuation of 5lbs or so). Your calorie intake may be too high especially if you aren't tracking (weighing your food) as accurate as you should be.
  • hcarb001
    Options
    I haven't been measuring just pure muscle gain, but it's obvious appearance wise to me and others. I've been measuring myself though. I've been lifting for about 2 years with some brief set backs occasionally. I track macros..so yes I also count cals. I eat in a very slight surplus, 1650 cals a day. 143p, 186 c, 37 f.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If you eat a surplus to gain muscle you will also gain fat. You cannot only gain muscle. Once you have reached an a weight at which you don't feel comfortable going any higher you could do a cut which would reduce your body fat % and reveal the muscle you have built. Alternatively eat at maintenance and accept a slower process to gaining muscle and strength but less fat gains.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Ok well if you are eating in a surplus, then you will gain fat along with muscle. How tall are you? 1650 doesn't seem like much a surplus unless you are very short.

In order to reduce the amount of fat gained, you will have to reduce your surplus (which will also reduce your muscle).. I like to stay 1-2lb per month, any more than that and as a woman your fat gains will be more significant.

Also, what does your programming look like? Inadequate programming can play role in excess fat vs muscle gain as well
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    hcarb001 wrote: »
    I'm just about 5"4'. I'm almost a CPT so the programming most likely isn't the issue. My macros I believe are good, probably just need to be tweaked a bit on levels like DocRootCanal suggested. I know that with any muscle gain, you'll gain fat as well. I just wasn't expecting such a dramatic (about 10lbs) increase. As a woman especially, that creates some concern. But like I said, I have put on quite a bit of muscle recently.

I'm sure you've made muscle gains but, again, how are you sure you've put on 'quite a bit' of muscle? If you are eating in a proper surplus with the right training you can only really gain about 1 lb of muscle a month as a lady. Over how long a period have you put on 10 pounds?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    And to add, if you've lost ab definition then that's down to fat gain, not muscle.
  • hcarb001
    Options
    Well obviously...if I'm losing definition I know that would equal fat gain...hence my topic title. Just because you gain fat in one area, that doesn't mean you're not gaining muscle in another area. I always gain fat in my abdomen and hips first. Some people notice fat increase in their legs first, etc. I never had the expectations of gaining purely muscle, other reasons for gaining weight follow with that of course, again I was surprised by the numbers. That's it.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Sometimes I lose definition in my waist after a refeed.. so extra food, bloat etc. not fat.

While the scale is important to gauge your rate of gain, I would recommend you use a trend weight app to sort through the fluctuations if not already, also take measurements, take progress photos (try to use the same outfit, same time of day, same lighting etc)
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Well obviously...if I'm losing definition I know that would equal fat gain...hence my topic title. Just because you gain fat in one area, that doesn't mean you're not gaining muscle in another area. I always gain fat in my abdomen and hips first. Some people notice fat increase in their legs first, etc. I never had the expectations of gaining purely muscle, other reasons for gaining weight follow with that of course, again I was surprised by the numbers. That's it.

Over what time period did you gain the 10lbs? Do you track your waist and hip measurements? Since you don't weigh yourself often, you may have caught your scale weight on a high fluctuation day and it might not be a true 10lb gain (I weigh daily and have a 5lb swing with water weight fluctuations)

I ran a 6 month bulk and gained about 16lbs. I'm coming towards the end of my cut and even though I'm 7lbs heavier than than when I started, my measurements are now only a little bit bigger than my pre-bulk measurements - this is just to show that ultimately the scale weight doesn't mean the same thing when you're building muscle. (But you will have to run a cut to lean out to get your definition back)

Oh...and I can't remember what the ratio is, but for women, even if their training and diet are optimal the weight gain is going to be more fat than lean mass...it's definitely more than half fat gains.
  • hcarb001
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »

Over what time period did you gain the 10lbs? Do you track your waist and hip measurements? Since you don't weigh yourself often, you may have caught your scale weight on a high fluctuation day and it might not be a true 10lb gain (I weigh daily and have a 5lb swing with water weight fluctuations)

I ran a 6 month bulk and gained about 16lbs. I'm coming towards the end of my cut and even though I'm 7lbs heavier than than when I started, my measurements are now only a little bit bigger than my pre-bulk measurements - this is just to show that ultimately the scale weight doesn't mean the same thing when you're building muscle. (But you will have to run a cut to lean out to get your definition back)

Oh...and I can't remember what the ratio is, but for women, even if their training and diet are optimal the weight gain is going to be more fat than lean mass...it's definitely more than half fat gains.

The 10lbs has been since the beginning of July til now. I've been measuring my hip/waist ratio for a while just to keep myself in check. I did weigh myself at a bad time...(10pm, after a workout and lots of water, and during my period week) so I'm doubting the accuracy of the numbers at this point lol.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It's because you are human.
  • hcarb001
    Options
    Abs are built in the kitchen. Something needs tweaked in your diet. Usual culprits seem to be carbs and sugar.

I still have a firm v line still, just a lot of bloating and extra fluff than normal. I eat 75/80% clean, limited processed sugars and a lot of raw vegetables. I refuse to give up my carbs. Carbs are my best friend and are completely needed to build.