Powerlifting and early pregnancy??

Options
Hi, so I'm 38 and pregnant with my first child

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    No personal experience here, but I have friends who have continued to Powerlift, Crossfit, Bodybuild, and Run (respectively) up until days before they delivered. Babies were all born healthy and mothers were back to working out soon after. I would probably speak with my OB-GYN and ensure the pregnancy was normal and there were no risks. If you aren't already powerlifting, I don't know that this would be a good time to start, though.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of women who have continued to train throughout pregnancy (one even had a deadlift training session the day of birth - not on purpose!). Their training was modified during different stages, but they kept lifting...

I don't think starting a training program would be recommended though!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of women who have continued to train throughout pregnancy (one even had a deadlift training session the day of birth - not on purpose!). Their training was modified during different stages, but they kept lifting...

Pretty much this... if it's what you've always done, then you should be ok to carry on. I'd run it past your doctor/midwife type person.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Agreed. If your body is used to the training, keep it up. But don't start something new.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Yep to the above. Check with your doctor, but the usual advice is to keep doing what you're used to doing if you've got a low-risk pregnancy. I've had friends run marathons pregnant, friends who do Crossfit pregnant - they just aren't starting new programs or adding a bunch of weight. They're essentially maintaining their current level of fitness.
  • audreysappetite
    audreysappetite Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, @laur357 @livingleanlivingclean @quiksylver296 @TavistockToad @MotherOfSharpei
    Not sure y my full post didn't appear, thanks for all the advice. Jst taking the training, one day at a time and see who I feel, great to hear of the ladies out there looking after themselves
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My wife ran up to six miles a run and played tennis right through most of her pregnancies. I don't know if that is the same, but.....
    My kids turned out okay....Sorta.

Oh c'mon! It's just a joke.....One is in law school, the other just graduated college with a degree in economics and has a job with the State of California analyzing and predicting how much tax revenue might come in from the recently legalized marijuana.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I worked out 6 days a week 60-120 minutes a day running, rowing, biking, weights, kettlebell, TRX, you name it. I had to modify activities as my belly grew and joints became more lax. I can say the TRX was awesome during the third trimester when your balance starts to be off. I got slower and lifted less heavy as my pregnancy progressed. I had a full term easy delivery, baby born 39 weeks 5 days, 8 lbs, 21 inches. I also had minimal weight gain during the pregnancy and lost it pretty quick after. All through out my pregnancy I asked my doctors for advice about exercise, all of them said just listen to your body and don't do anything more than you did pre-pregnancy. AT points during your pregnancy things may arise that might limit what you can do exercise wise... for a few weeks there was concern about placenta previa so I had to stop running, but then that resolved... for a few weeks I had severe SI joint laxity and pain and that greatly limited what I could do, but then the baby switched from a horizontal to a vertical position and that resolved.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you have done it for a minute, you'll be okay.
  • devinapronolo4230
    Options
    I took it easy for the first trimester, because it is the most cruicial time. Many miscarriages happen in first pregnancy. And this is despite me having lift for 11 years.
    Second trimester, went back to powerlifting, but only at 40% of 1RM. Anything too heavy requires you to use belt, and pushing the belly out against the belt will increase risk of DR. Plus, your joints are soft due to the relaxant hormone during pregnancy. So be careful.
    Midway second trimester I was told I had low lying placenta, so I had to stop powerlifting and did Bodybuilding exercises instead, all the way until the day before I gave birth.
    Another reason not to lift too heavy during pregnancy is risk of prolapsed due to added pressure to pelvic floor muscle.
    So unless your physio, doctor give you a green light, take it easy. You can still workout, but there's no need to go all out. It's only 10 months. Not worth risking a DR, and prolapsed pelvic floor muscle
  • devinapronolo4230
    Options
    I mean, many miscarriages happen during first trimester. Sorry!!