Pre workout and Post workout meals?

Options
Any good snacks or meals I can make at home? I'd also love to know what's a good cheap protein mixes are out there for my shakes and smoothies? Thank you!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Anything you want. Some people can't eat before a workout, it makes them queasy. Some people have to eat before a workout or they feel faint. Same with post-workout.

Eating pre and post workout isn't necessary. Eat when you're hungry. Hit your protein macros. The end.

As for good AND cheap protein mixes, I don't think they exist. I like Quest and Trutein.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My protein is not cheap. I only use when I am going fall short of protein through food alone.

I consume a small bowl of cereal before my lifting, nothing major and I just started doing that because I found myself hungry during my work out; usually I lift early morning and fasted. So how and when you consume food is based on personal preference and how you condition yourself to working out.

Like the above, eat when you are hungry, consume adequate protein in your meals and snacks how you see fit and what suits your training regime.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If I ride in the AM, I have breakfast afterwards. If I ride in the PM, I have dinner afterwards...I usually lift in the evening after work...have dinner when I get home.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I don't have any special pre or post workout food. There's a lot of marketing going on in promoting food as such when for the average (not elite athlete) really doesn't need it. Just like unless you really have been working out intensely for 60-90 minutes Gatoraid is really unnecessary.

But, saying that, my favorites:
    Banana
    Yogurt
    Popcorn (kinda bulky so post-workout)
    Protein Bar
    Low fat cheese sticks
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    For pre-workout energy drink a cup of coffee.

Anytime meals:
    Hard boiled eggs with brown rice (cook up a dozen eggs and rice the night before).
    Brown rice with black or pinto beans.
    Banana and peanut butter.
    Sharp New York Style cheese and peanut butter.

The above are easy to make and eat.

Protein powders are expensive but plain 1% or 2% milk all by itself is a good protein drink. For a simple milkshake blend with ice and vanilla extract. Add peanut butter.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Mostly it's breakfast/lunch or lunch/dinner.

Your overall diet is important, food timing around everyday workouts isn't unless you are an elite athlete searching for every tenth of a percentage point of advantage or exercising very long duration or doing repeated workouts during a day.

For really prolonged exercise (4 hours or so) then I will take care over timing and nutrition precision otherwise it really just fits in my day.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Mostly it's breakfast/lunch or lunch/dinner.

Your overall diet is important, food timing around everyday workouts isn't unless you are an elite athlete searching for every tenth of a percentage point of advantage or exercising very long duration or doing repeated workouts during a day.

For really prolonged exercise (4 hours or so) then I will take care over timing and nutrition precision otherwise it really just fits in my day.

Careful, @sijomial, you'll get called names for that point of view. :D
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I personally just eat a carb-ish snack like a banana or something of that nature prior to lifting since I train at 4PM and usually eat lunch around noon so i'm pretty hungry by the time I train. I just eat my usual dinner after i'm finished around 7PM. I never really have an issue hitting my macros through my regular meals so I don't really supplement.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    zbmiller4 wrote: »
    I’m going to tell you straight up. Do not waste your money on protein supplements! The industry has been lying for years.

For your size I’m guessing

Pre workout 2 eggs 1 egg white/ with a little cheese one rice cake
    Post workout 1/2 cup white rice and 4 ounces of chicken. One half of a cucumber.

Why?
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Pre workout: A banana or apple with coffee or caffeine pill

Post workout: Anything
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Pre workout.... Lunch (a few hours before, don't really like training having just eaten)

Post workout.... Dinner when I get home