How to increase bench?

Options
2»

Replies

• rkovelman
    rkovelman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Some great info above. One thing to note is if you're mentally always trying to push the bar away, you're losing out on the descent of the bar, or negative reps. Like the OP I was stuck at around the same weight, and it was just pissing me off. Instead of trying to push the bar away from me, I would use that same weight and just slowly lower that same weight to my chest over a 5-10 sec span and then unload. Within a few weeks, I broke free from the weight I was stuck at. This will help with what the others mentioned above, it will strengthen your shoulders and other muscles at the same time.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    rkovelman wrote: »
    Some great info above. One thing to note is if you're mentally always trying to push the bar away, you're losing out on the descent of the bar, or negative reps. Like the OP I was stuck at around the same weight, and it was just pissing me off. Instead of trying to push the bar away from me, I would use that same weight and just slowly lower that same weight to my chest over a 5-10 sec span and then unload. Within a few weeks, I broke free from the weight I was stuck at. This will help with what the others mentioned above, it will strengthen your shoulders and other muscles at the same time.

Then you were working the base more, which are the lats. Strengthen the lats with pullovers and watch it take off...Look, I hit 505 lbs on the flat bench and 405 on the incline at age 34. At 34 I stopped power lifting. Started back 4 years ago after shoulder surgery. I'm at 420 flat and 370 incline at age 51. Strengthen the negative side with heavy straight bar pullovers and work the tri's heavy and you won't waste energy on the negative of the bench, leaves more for the pressing
  • rkovelman
    rkovelman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    rkovelman wrote: »

Then you were working the base more, which are the lats. Strengthen the lats with pullovers and watch it take off...Look, I hit 505 lbs on the flat bench and 405 on the incline at age 34. At 34 I stopped power lifting. Started back 4 years ago after shoulder surgery. I'm at 420 flat and 370 incline at age 51. Strengthen the negative side with heavy straight bar pullovers and work the tri's heavy and you won't waste energy on the negative of the bench, leaves more for the pressing

Your right and that's why I moved to wide grip pull ups. My comment was more supplemental to your advice and others about strengthening other parts that are involved.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I tighten the lats up, like I'm squeezing from hands thru shoulders,lats. So tight that it's hard to tell how heavy the weight really is. I don't lose anything on the way down, saving it for the press. My new thing is a Swiss bar, love that thing. It helps keep the elbows in more.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    420 this morning, it was ugly but went up.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Irvseg93 wrote: »
    It's novice program .
    Without running your numbers, your 295 lbs bench 1RM at your body weight probably puts you out of a novice program. You’re an intermediate and need subsequent programming to further your gains.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I like Z_I_L_L_A's recommendations, a lot of knowledge there, nothing left to say really. Be patient with your lifts, strength will come.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Do reverse grip bench too.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    Options

How much volume do you throw into direct Tricep work?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I might have missed it, but don't you have a periodization program yet? You can't just keep bashing linear progression at such high weight. Also, AlphaDestiny isn't a powerlifter and has no idea about powerlifting programming from anything I've seen on his channel. You should probablly get onto something like 531, Texas Method or similar intermediate program that will have you periodizing your lifts.

Also, looking at your lifts, you really should be deadlifting a lot more right now with those bench and squat numbers where they are.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    edited January 2018
    Options
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »

10-25 reps, 10-15 set range, skull crushers up to 135#, overhead ext with DB's up to125# .,shoulder width grip press downs on cable machine usually whole stack, dips etc. all 2 to 3 times a week or until my joints start screaming,lol. I threw in reverse grip bench last night. We did 135 for 50 reps 4 sets. On another note hit 185# pullovers for sets of 10-12reps for the lats. I'm not all scientific about my workouts, it's more of how I feel, and how the weight feels as to what exercise and weight and sets and reps.

I bench this Sunday, going for either a 425 lb flat or a 380 lb. incline. Depends on how I feel, Saturday I'll be in Birmingham watching my 15 yr old nephew compete. He weighs 190, 6% BF going for a National record. His bench is 360, DL 455, SQ.425 last time we checked about a month ago.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    Options

10-25 reps, 10-15 set range, skull crushers up to 135#, overhead ext with DB's up to125# .,shoulder width grip press downs on cable machine usually whole stack, dips etc. all 2 to 3 times a week or until my joints start screaming,lol. I threw in reverse grip bench last night. We did 135 for 50 reps 4 sets. On another note hit 185# pullovers for sets of 10-12reps for the lats. I'm not all scientific about my workouts, it's more of how I feel, and how the weight feels as to what exercise and weight and sets and reps.

I bench this Sunday, going for either a 425 lb flat or a 380 lb. incline. Depends on how I feel, Saturday I'll be in Birmingham watching my 15 yr old nephew compete. He weighs 190, 6% BF going for a National record. His bench is 360, DL 455, SQ.425 last time we checked about a month ago.

Wow, that's quite a training session. Have you ever found any value in using a football bar to bench or do you think the reverse grip is a better alternative for volume work?

Congrats to your nephew, best of luck to him. Those are great numbers, especially at his age and stats, damn!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options

Wow, that's quite a training session. Have you ever found any value in using a football bar to bench or do you think the reverse grip is a better alternative for volume work?

Congrats to your nephew, best of luck to him. Those are great numbers, especially at his age and stats, damn!

Football bar? I've used a Swiss bar, really like it too. Nephew has been in the gym with me and his dad since he was 10 doing light weight and hi reps.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Football bar? I've used a Swiss bar, really like it too. Nephew has been in the gym with me and his dad since he was 10 doing light weight and hi reps.

We have a football bar at my gym, I've never really used it.

GL to you newphew, sounds like a beast!
  • JAYxMSxPES
    Options

It's basically a longer swiss bar with a couple different grip variations within it.

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Options

It's basically a longer swiss bar with a couple different grip variations within it.

That must be what I used then.