Abs

Options
Advice on how to get abs, I've been working out for years, eating healthy, about a month ago I started lifting heavy weights, I noticed my arms and legs a little more cut, but not much on my stomach, should I do a lot more cardio?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Develop a good muscle base and lose enough body fat. It takes way more than a month.
  • gymmyhappyhr
    gymmyhappyhr Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    So should I continue lifting heavy? I was told to eat more calories since I've been lifting heavy and not to do much cardio, is this true?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    So should I continue lifting heavy? I was told to eat more calories since I've been lifting heavy and do as much cardio, is this true?

You can lift heavy at any time. If you're trying to grow muscle, you need to be in a calorie surplus - this will lead to gaining both mys levels and fat. Getting abs/looking defined comes down to losing fat - completely separate goal. You need to eat at a deficit.
  • jmackkk
    jmackkk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Abs come from the kitchen
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think what people are saying is that wanting to have less fat (visible abs) and be stronger/more muscular are conflicting goals and it's tough to chase both at once. Most people seem to cut until they are at a low body fat, then slowly bulk to add muscle (and, unfortunately also some fat). Then they cut again They are lifting the whole time.

It's a drag because you can't really build much muscle size while cutting, and your strength gains are slower than when bulking.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    be less than 12% body fat

Not good enough. I'm 10.6% (hydrostatic) and I don't have abs.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, abs.....yes, those things. The things that others have and those things I have never had. But, gonna get them (at age 50 - or later). DANG IT!

So, there are two parts to your question.....

First and foremost, you have to have abdominal muscles. Just like traps and biceps and delts and quads and glutes (love me some nice glutes.....) and and and.

And, to do that you need to have 'abs" as a part of your training. Please note that it is not an accident that I use the word "training" and not lifting or working out or whatever. It is a mind set thing. You can do abs in about 10 minutes at the end of every training session. And, note that there is a specific way in which you best train your abs (well, generally speaking....it is challenging for me to make an all-inclusive statement like that since WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT).....

But, once you have the muscle you need to make the body fat away. It does no good to have the one (abs) with out the other (making the body fat go away).

One way that I have really improved my abs is with squats and dead lifts. Huh? Yes! Yes! Yes! Bracing is a HUGE part of those two lifts. And, just by being crazy and doing squats and dead lifts way more often and way heavier than I should my abs - specifically, via the bracing that I do for both - got strong af. That really helps. I do not do ab exercises (yet....that is going to happen once I get back in the freaking gym......ARGH! This is driving me insane!!!!....Okay, feel better now). I have just a bit too much body fat to have abs, but one day. The muscle is there....just covered.

Does that make sense?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Cardio burn calories, a calorie deficit burns fat.

That said, someone told you to eat more because you are lifting heavy and doing cardio.. is this to eat more so you build mass? If so you want to cut after your bulking phase.

You can add volume to your abs but in the end genetics are at play.. genetics play role in determining the shape of the abs and they way they look, if you have genetics working against you, cutting will be an uphill battle. Just keep in mind for us ladies we need to get down to an amount of leanness that will show your abs, and in some cases this may cause you to dip into a body fat% that is hard to maintain once you get there. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

Than most likely you do not have enough mass or have developed abs.

Too often people think you just need low body fat. But in reality, a person needs adequate muscle and low body fat. If both arent there, you wont have abs.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Really? That's usually enough but there are individual differences.

Among men,15% is usually when you can just start to see them and 10% is usually when you can see them w/o flexing; they're not chiseled but they are visible 24/7 whether relaxed or flexed. Abs get chiseled at around 5% are usually only seen in competitions; 5% is the essential fat level.

I'm at 10% (hydrostatic) and 13% (DXA) and I've got visible abs.
  • ccsernica
    edited October 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Than most likely you do not have enough mass or have developed abs.

Too often people think you just need low body fat. But in reality, a person needs adequate muscle and low body fat. If both arent there, you wont have abs.
    I was responding to a claim that "less than 12% body fat" was by itself sufficient to have visible abs. I wasn't looking for a diagnosis.

[edited by mods]
  • ccsernica
    edited October 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

I'm over 50, have a good deal of loose skin around my middle after some moderate weight loss, and (as @psuLemon was kind enough to emphasize) not very muscular. I would assume that's sufficiently different.
  • sgt1372
    Options

I'm over 50, have a good deal of loose skin around my middle after some moderate weight loss, and (as @psuLemon was kind enough to emphasize) not very muscular. I would assume that's sufficiently different.

I'm 67.

Very muscular. Have some annoying belly skin when I flex. None when I don't.

We're all different but there are some generalizable trends.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

I'm 67.

I have that too! Kind of strange that my stomach looks better relaxed than flexed.
  • sgt1372
    edited October 2017
    Options

I'm 67.

I have that too! Kind of strange that my stomach looks better relaxed than flexed.

Yeah, I've got some in my butt too but there it's there whether flexed or not. Fortunately, my compression shorts covers it all.

Old age is a b*tch! :(
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Disagree. I have abs at 18.3% BF. Train core with weighted exercises. The only way I was able to transform any sort of abdomen muscle, and I've been 16% BF with NO ab definition. Oblique twists, trunk twists, cable crunches, weighted double crunches, incline crunches, weighted v-ups, scissor kicks, crunch burn outs, oblique planks...the list goes on. A lot of it is nutrition, but you have to have defined ab muscles or else you are cutting down fat to reveal less-than-ideal abs.
  • tonyjnav
    tonyjnav Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Everyone gets visible abs at different body fat %. Not everyone is the same, BUT in the end if you want to be super chiseled you need to cut.