Fussy eater !!

Options
I'm really fussy when it comes to fruit and veg.. any ideas on how to get them in my diet ?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Eat the ones you like.
    Try the ones you don't like or don't know in different ways.

Roasting makes pretty much everything taste awesome.
  • lauraw2912
    lauraw2912 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I will eat apples that's about it lol it's not the tastes of food .. I struggle with textures x
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    lauraw2912 wrote: »
    I will eat apples that's about it lol it's not the tastes of food .. I struggle with textures x

There's so many varieties of both fruit and vegies with many textures. Cooking in different ways produces different textures.

If you like apples, try other crunchy fruit. Eat your vegies raw, in salads, or quickly stir fry them to retain crunch.

Hide them in sauces - so many things can be grated or finely chopped so they disappear in to dishes when cooked.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Google secret vegetable recipes. They're generally aimed at kids, but are an excellent way to sneak veg into stuff so that they blend and you don't notice the texture.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    And if you like things like hummus, loads of veggies can be worked into a spread or pate like that. Or a pesto with your leafy greens.

And totally what @livingleanlivingclean said about texture changing with how foods are prepared. If you like the cripsness of apples, you should like some of the more crisp pears and maybe even doing some of the root vegetables raw (beets, carrots, jicama, fennel) all have a similar mouth-feel to apples.

I've also found that veggies I did not like when I was in my teens and even into my early twenties I now adore, aubergine/eggplant being right at the top of that list. Your tastes are likely to continue to change, so keep giving different fruits and vegetables a try.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    take a multi vitamin
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Invest in a turbo blender and have a smoothie daily. It’s the only way my boyfriend will eat greens, and I like fruit, but I somehow don’t bother with it unless I make a whole juice. It’s very refreshing after a long workout. It also saves money bc you can use frozen fruit.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Invest in a turbo blender and have a smoothie daily. It’s the only way my boyfriend will eat greens, and I like fruit, but I somehow don’t bother with it unless I make a whole juice. It’s very refreshing after a long workout. It also saves money bc you can use frozen fruit.

Heh, it's funny because I'm not a fussy eater, and eat a wide variety of veggies and the idea of a veggie smoothie makes me want to puke.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Heh, it's funny because I'm not a fussy eater, and eat a wide variety of veggies and the idea of a veggie smoothie makes me want to puke.

You really ought to try one sometime then. It’s usually a mix of fruits and veggies. It’s not uncommon for them to even put kale in them at the stores than sell smoothies and whole juices. I usually make my boyfriend and son banana, spinach, and almond milk ones. You can hardly taste the spinach.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options

Same here. And.. it's the texture. Also it seems to be extremely filling instantly, but not fill me up for long compared to the same veggies in steamed form. I prefer to eat veggies and drink milk, water, some fruit juice.

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    There are some food I just loathe, but there are also some foods that I have gotten used to after eating them for a while. Can you force yourself to try something and see if you get used to it?