Body fat check

Options
What do you think my BF% is? I tend to only see my problem areas. My scale says 23%. A seven point caliper test says 19%. My guess is I'm somewhere in-between. 5ceujq52r40c.jpg

Replies

• RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    7rjr6bzggqsr.png

Hopefully that works and helps.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Scales are notoriously 'off'. Calipers, unless used by someone who really knows what he/she is doing, can be really off, as well. Good that you are doing seven points on the caliper test....

What scale are you using?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Although scales are notoriously inaccurate I think in this instance it's probably about right. 19% is too low in my opinion but lower 23/24 seems about right.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What's your height and weight? You look kinda short--- I'm saying you're likely in the 21-25 range. This is entirely a guess based on known BF%s of friends/fitness models and entirely unscientific. Waist-hip ratio measurements might be more helpful a metric to track since there can be less error.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    What's your height and weight? You look kinda short--- I'm saying you're likely in the 21-25 range. This is entirely a guess based on known BF%s of friends/fitness models and entirely unscientific. Waist-hip ratio measurements might be more helpful a metric to track since there can be less error.

Yes, in short. I'm 5'2" and 115 lbs. I'm trying to decide how much weight I need to lose.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Although scales are notoriously inaccurate I think in this instance it's probably about right. 19% is too low in my opinion but lower 23/24 seems about right.

I'm in agreement. I would guess you only need to lose 5 to 8 lbs and then go into recomp mode. (i'm assuming you are doing weight training?)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    MrsBeccaM5 wrote: »

Yes, in short. I'm 5'2" and 115 lbs. I'm trying to decide how much weight I need to lose.

So you probably know your healthy weight range is 107-136. Smack dab in the middle of a healthy BMI is 121.5 lbs, so you're already below that. You don't NEED to lose any weight, but what is your goal? Are you trying to reduce body fat? You might actually end up weighing more than 115 lbs at whatever you desired body fat percentage is.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    yes, I am horrible at "guessing" body fat percentages, even with the aid of comparison pics. But, I am really good at hieght | weight. I am usually dead on....within a couple pounds on the weight and dead on with the height. Usually. But, that was not the OPs question.

A good weight training | nutritional plan and she is good to go!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You could recomp from where you are, you already look pretty great. Or you could do a small cut, a few pounds will make quite a difference on you at your current height and weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    MrsBeccaM5 wrote: »

Need?
    Depends what your goal physique is of course but IMHO between zero and not a lot. At your height a small loss of weight (or gain of muscle) will really show.

With the degree of inaccuracy in BF% estimates I'm not sure it's a great metric for you.

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    I wanted to suggest a re-composition as well. So, for those of you unfamiliar with what that is....you eat at maintenance calories but you still lift heavy.

Essentially, you do not gain or loose weight, but your body shape changes. You spare yourself the agony of a cut (where you are at a caloric deficit) and the pain/pleasure of a bulk (where you are at a caloric surplus).

A re-composition simply takes a bit of time. Her choice!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I have a BF% scale that told me I'm 18.3% but everyone on here told me to disregard it because they're notoriously off. I honestly can't give a good gauge, I think there's something you can do at your gym or doctor's office for an accurate reading.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    @peaceout_aly - LOVE THAT....."don't give a good gauge!" :smiley:
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    LMAO
    @peaceout_aly - LOVE THAT....."don't give a good gauge!" :smiley:

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'd say your scale is closer. If you build muscle your body fat percentage will go down. I'm also 5' 2" and in my profile I'm at about 20-21%, per bodpod test. Recomp should work very well for you at your current weight.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    21.9575343%

(You look great, BTW.)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    You do look great, @MrsBeccaM5 !
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I agree with others speculating that your scale is closer than the calipers. I tried comparing my scale, calipers, and skuplt scanner at one point and the calipers always seems to come out lower than the other two methods by that same ~4 point margin (i.e. scale said 16.5%, Skulpt said 14.5%, calipers said 12.5%, visually definitely closer to that 15% mark).

Depending on your goals I also agree with recomping or going on a mild cut, which is what I've been doing since late July with relative success. Since 7/24 I'm averaging 9.8% calories under TDEE, have lost 8 lbs, scale BF has gone from 16.6% to 12.2%. I know scale BF% isn't exact but regardless of what the real numbers are, it's an apple-to-apples change in the right direction.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    You do look great, @MrsBeccaM5 !

Thank you : )