Struggling at the gym

Options
nicolega2001
nicolega2001 Posts: 48 Member
edited October 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys. About a month ago I was sedentary and had been for a long time. I'm also obese (I've gained a lot since my profile pic was taken). Then about a month ago I joined a gym and made a commitment to myself to go three days a week. I am happy to report that I have kept this commitment. I'm working out in my target heart rate but occasionally I just feel tired and slow down and go under my target heart rate. I keep wondering if something is wrong or if I am just getting used to getting in shape. I feel like I am trying but it's just a struggle and I wonder if others struggle this much! Just thought I would post to get some support.

Edited to add that I work out for about 30 minutes. I just don't feel like doing more than that. I figure I can take my time to work up to longer.

Replies

• nicolega2001
    Options
    2000 calories/day. not low carb
  • armstrongchloe
    armstrongchloe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hydrating properly?
  • armstrongchloe
    armstrongchloe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hydrating properly?

When I did an assessment at the gym they said I was properly hydrated. But I have been wondering if I should drink more water. I was getting headaches while exercising for awhile, so I upped my water intake a bit. Haven't had anymore headaches.

Are you snacking before you go to the gym? Or are you going in hungry? I always feel my weakest when I haven't eaten or I've been slacking on my water. Try different things and feel out what helps YOUR body.
  • nicolega2001
    Options
    Hydrating properly?

When I did an assessment at the gym they said I was properly hydrated. But I have been wondering if I should drink more water. I was getting headaches while exercising for awhile, so I upped my water intake a bit. Haven't had anymore headaches.

Are you snacking before you go to the gym? Or are you going in hungry? I always feel my weakest when I haven't eaten or I've been slacking on my water. Try different things and feel out what helps YOUR body.

I try to eat something nutritious like a Kind bar about 1.5 hours before going to the gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Part of it is the fact that fitness takes time to build...it doesn't happen overnight. Part of it is the fact that some days are just better than other days. I've been training well for 5+ years and I have good days and bad days.
  • nicolega2001
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Part of it is the fact that fitness takes time to build...it doesn't happen overnight. Part of it is the fact that some days are just better than other days. I've been training well for 5+ years and I have good days and bad days.

There are moments where I'm like yes I got this I'm killing it and then other times I'm like what on earth am I doing? This is hard!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

There are moments where I'm like yes I got this I'm killing it and then other times I'm like what on earth am I doing? This is hard!

Me, too. ;)
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice above. As you lose weight and improve diet your energy levels will improve. I'm assuming your 30 minutes is cardio (bike/elliptical/treadmill)? When you're done with that, go to whatever cable machine circuit your gym has and do a set on each machine. Wake up those muscles! Might be fun! Don't forget to stretch.
  • JnineGains
    JnineGains Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have gone from 1700 calories to 1400- to 1200 a day now. Try a coffee before your workout :) Keep up the good work!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    First--congratulations! I admire you for committing. However, as you yourself admit, you were sedentary for a long time and obese. That means it will take at least a few months for your body to catch up to the new changes. By all means try different things to see what works best. Any movement is good, even starting out walking on the treadmill for 15 mins slow to start before you do other things. Once you start to feel in control you can up intensity and frequency in moderate stages. Being overly tired means cutting calories too much, or lack of sleep, or could be other things. Best of luck to you.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yes...it will take time to build up both strength and endurance. Also, be sure to eat about 200-300 calories and at least 1 cup water per hour before you go to the gym. If you are going in 2 hours, 400-600 calories and minimum of 2 cups of water (3-4 if you can). This will give you time to convert food to fuel for your workout, as well as get it out of your stomach so it's not sloshing around.

I am doing a triathlon sprint program (half mile swim, 12.4 mile bike, 3.1 mile run), and while I don't do all of them every day, today I did a 4+ mile run in the AM. I ate about 2-3 hours before hand, and finally averaged under a 10 min mile. Days where I get up and run empty, I am lucky if I can keep it just over 11 min mile average.

And while I don't suggest you buy it at this time, on Sat when I do my personal triathlon sprint (half mile swim, 6+ mile bike b/c my butt can't handle 12 miles yet, and 3.5 mile run), I use a BCAA supplement to help me out right before/during the workout. It is an amino acid supplement that help with energy levels, as well as keeps your body from tearing down as much muscle during the workout that it normally would. Nearly 2 hours of pretty intense cardio can be rough, and while I feel the workout, I don't hit the "exhaustion wall" like I did before. Again, I wouldn't suggest you take it at this point (healthy fuel up snack should be fine for you), but just letting you know that it's something we all face.

Finally, don't know what exercises you're doing, but if you're not, mix in a little strength training. Cardio is great, but you need to build muscle to push you on that treadmill or whatever. It is suggested to do strength first, since you are fresh, then do cardio after - if you do them both at the same gym visit. You will be tired/slower doing your cardio since you muscles have been worked and fuel supplies are depleted, but you still burn the same calories doing 2 miles on an elliptical, you're just going slower and it takes a bit longer (5-10 min perhaps). The other way, you might not have the energy to do that last set, so your strength training gets cheated.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I do not do anything with regard to a target heart rate while exercising. I know that Orange Theory gyms are big on this. Are you going to a gym that has you aim at that or have you decided to do it on your own? In general I think you should cut yourself some slack, with the understanding that it will get easier as time goes on.
  • nicolega2001
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I do not do anything with regard to a target heart rate while exercising. I know that Orange Theory gyms are big on this. Are you going to a gym that has you aim at that or have you decided to do it on your own? In general I think you should cut yourself some slack, with the understanding that it will get easier as time goes on.

The gym folks did an assessment and then gave me a target heart rate range to stay within.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

The gym folks did an assessment and then gave me a target heart rate range to stay within.

What is the range?