Non-Slip Socks for Workout

Options
Nysportsred
Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
edited October 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
This may even be a ridiculous question to some, but can anyone suggest really good non-slip socks to use while on the elliptical? Obviously as I start to sweat the foot area on the arms of the machine get wet and I have to keep wiping them off so I don't slip. It would also help to have something on that's as thin as a sock, but also with the non slip stuff it may prevent any blisters from the feet rubbing against the rubber grips on the foot area.

I workout on the elliptical barefoot because I was in a lot of discomfort for a while and the elliptical would take me forever as I had to keep stopping. One day I went on to test something and noticed that when I was on there barefoot I didn't have the aches and discomfort I experienced before. Since then I have been able to enjoy my workouts again on the machine.

I have thought about the shoes that are basically like you're barefoot, but I am looking for a cheaper option with the socks and as I am in a way that isn't causing pain I don't know if the shoes would change that and what's not broke I am not trying to fix.

Any other ideas to prevent slipping I am more than open to so please let me know.

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Slipper socks that have the rubbery pattern on the bottom to stop slipping?
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Trusox

I use them when playing football, I wouldn't wear any other socks now TBH
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Go to the drug store or a department and look for any pair of sockettes that have a non slip design applied to the bottom. I think anything marketed as yoga socks would also work.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Your shoes don’t fit right.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Anchorage with my hound dog, I bought her a set of doggie snow sox at the sled dog store. They recommended getting a tube of Shoe Goo and making little polka dots on the sole of the sox to keep them from slipping. Maybe try that with people sox. Another option is to go to a home health supply store or a drug store like Walgreens and getting a pair of non skid sox sold for elderly patients. They can be as little as $1.50.
  • Nysportsred
    Options
    Your shoes don’t fit right.
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I think the larger question is why are your shoes so uncomfortable?

Don't know. I've always gotten the same brand and style of sneaker when using the elliptical since they never caused me problems before. I have tried three different pairs since the discomfort started and had the same issue results.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You could try looking for yoga socks or Pilates socks. They are thin but have grips
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yoga socks should do the trick. I'm assuming they come in man size these days too!
    Also, if you're getting sweaty, try a spray of antiperspirant on your feet to delay it, or maybe even a little bit of liquid chalk.

Long term, it's probably worth figuring out the shoe issue though...
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Makes me think of hospital socks. They have that rubbery part on the bottom.

I do some of my lifts in socks. My shoes fit but I get pain the arch that's unbearable.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Is it your arch area that hurts? -Mine hurts if I over-tighten the laces. Have you possibly changed to thicker socks, or have they changed the lacing pattern?
  • Nysportsred
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Ellipticals are meant to be used with appropriate footwear. Socked ellipticalling is pointless... I can understand socked running on a treadmill.

I say this as someone who doesn’t wear shoes in the gym 90% of the time.

How is it pointless? Exercising without pain and being able to do 70 minutes on the machine without needing to stop here and there is a win to me.

ritzvin wrote: »
    Is it your arch area that hurts? -Mine hurts if I over-tighten the laces. Have you possibly changed to thicker socks, or have they changed the lacing pattern?

The discomfort was felt in the hamstrings, lower back, and gluteus.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Try water shoes. They're ~$4. I use them for deadlifting, as they grip, but have almost no sole/cushion.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are meant to be used with appropriate footwear. Socked ellipticalling is pointless... I can understand socked running on a treadmill.

I say this as someone who doesn’t wear shoes in the gym 90% of the time.

How is it pointless? Exercising without pain and being able to do 70 minutes on the machine without needing to stop here and there is a win to me.

ritzvin wrote: »

The discomfort was felt in the hamstrings, lower back, and gluteus.

Ugh. 70 minutes on the elliptical is a win for no one but the elliptical manufacturer :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest looking into the cause of the pain a bit more. It does seem like you should be able to find a shoe that fits comfortably. Although you're not running, a running store might be able to evaluate your gait and offer some suggestions.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'd call 70 minutes on the elliptical a couple of cocktails worth of calories, a win for me!