Men only (we’ll sort of)

Options
So I want to turn things around and start exercising again. Well last week halted my attempt when I pulled a muscle in my groin area. It doesn’t really bother me too too much, except when I stand up and sit down. My questions are 1) is it ok to exercise with this issue 2) has anyone else dealt with this and what did you do 3) how long did it take to completely heal? I did this about 5 days ago and take ibuprofen and a heating pad on the area.

Replies

• rjel78
    rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just a groin pull
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I've pulled it during baseball season. It's fine to strength train in most case if it's a groin strain. It will promote healing in the same fashion as a bulk. Basically took me almost a week of squatting three times a week to be near unnoticeable & maybe another week or so before I was running near full speed while never missing time catching behind plate.

Definitely wouldn't sit still. At the very least go for walks.

Might want to do some stretching afterwards once the muscle are nice and warm.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Depends on the severity of the injury to be honest.

I'm a big fan of letting soft tissue injuries heal for about a week, then slowly introducing exercise with paying special attention to pain signals, and VERY SLOWLY increasing the duration and intensity over days/weeks. Exercise increases blood flow and speeds healing, as long as you are sure to avoid re-injury.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    waiting still for my own mri, so in the meantime i'm all about the empirical thing. basically, my rule for myself is: DON'T do anything that makes it worse, even if it feels fine while you're doing it. for me that can be up to a 12-hour lag before i feel sure something i did hasn't set off the craziness that is my own personal burden this year.

it puts a big crimp in even the information-gathering about what i feel like i can or can't do, but on the other hand the alternative would be to do nothing at all, so that seems to be what i have to work with rn.

ymmv naturally. but i definitely pulled something in the groin zone even if it wasn't the same thing as yours, so that's my experience - that it's not something that seems to benefit much from me challenging it.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Work around it, if it hurts, don't do it. You can still exercise. You can look up stretches for it as well. Don't become immobile, it makes it worse.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Not a dude, but ladies can pull groin muscles as well! I did and it took me about 2 months to get back to a place where I could lift (but not to the weight I was doing) but I could do light cardio after about 3 weeks. Plus my cousin is a physical therapist and she gave me a stretching routine that really helped.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ^ Oh my gawd! She snuck right in here.
  • James_Clark2
    James_Clark2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As stated don’t be immobile. At minimum get some walking in. Start with an easy 15-30 minutes and increase time or intensity over several days.
    Blood flow promotes healing, sitting still just makes it last longer.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Not a dude, but ladies can pull groin muscles as well! I did and it took me about 2 months to get back to a place where I could lift (but not to the weight I was doing) but I could do light cardio after about 3 weeks. Plus my cousin is a physical therapist and she gave me a stretching routine that really helped.

I wouldn't think that groin pulls were an exclusively male problem. :)