Numb heel

Options
First..... I am going to see a physiotherapist this afternoon.... but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what their issue was?

History.... I've been working on getting back into some semblance of physical shape the last 6 months.
Arthritis in both knees had made walking near impossible but I've been slowly loosing weight and that has helped.

So......I've been going for lunch time walks most everyday...30-40 minutes.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been experiencing a very numb feeling, sore left heel.

I have a really good pair of hikers and runners so it's not that.

But I do have really really flat feet.... over-pronation.

I don't think it is Plantar fasciitis as it is not a sharp pain... just numb with a dull ache.

My thought is possibly Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome ?

I'm hoping physio and custom orthotics will help.

Any one else suffer from this?

What helped you?

Replies

• Run_for_my_life
    Run_for_my_life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and have a numb heel. It has gotten better since my running coach put me in a larger sized shoe. If I do too much (up mileage too quick or speed) it comes back and aggravates me until I take time down to let the whatever it is go away
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    My thought is possibly Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome ?

Possibly.. especially since you have flat arches. Let us know what your PT thinks..
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    I have a really good pair of hikers and runners so it's not that.

Most hiking and running shoes have a raised heel relative to the toes, which actually isn't ideal for walking. It alters our natural gait, increases pronation, and adds stress to all the lower body joints. I would walk only in "zero heel" shoes. such as skateboard shoes, Altras, or even Keds. :+1:
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I had some numb toes, it got better when I got wider running shoes.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Update on my visit to physio re: numb/aching heel

It seems I've come full circle.

Back in my marathon running days I was always battling tight calves and Achilles.

However over the last few years arthritis and extra weight made walking very painful.

But not walking just made everything that much more tighter!!!! :#:#
    And now when I'm ready to get out there and give 'er.... my body is like wait a sec....
    The combination of extremely tight and weak muscles from my hip & glutes down to my calves, Achilles and arches are causing the issue - especially on my bad knee side (I'm getting a knee replacement next year).

That side was noticeably and frighteningly weaker ! :o

So I've got a series of stretches and strengthening exercises to do 3 times a day and will continue with physio.

I'm hoping a month or so of concentrated effort will get rid of the numb feeling but it is something I'm always going to have to be aware of and work on.

In regards to the shoes I wear walking..... I ALWAYS purchase a rigid 'stability' shoe because of my over pronation.
    lol.... I never scrimp on athletic shoes.

My physio therapist was quite happy with my choice. :)