Is anyone in here using Garmin's strength app (built into their watches) ?

Options
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/report/-2/strength_training/last_four_weeks

I have a Fenix 5X, I assume this functionality exists in other watches, but I'm not sure. When I start the strength app, it counts reps for me, and at the end of the set, it asks me to confirm or correct the number, then enter the weight I did. The watch also tries to guess what exercise I'm doing (it gets bench presses reliably, always misses squats), and lets me fill the exercise in later on my phone or computer.

The link above goes to a chart showing your reps and volume over the past month. It defaults to everything combined, but the dropdown lets you see a specific exercise, like only barbell rows or whatever.

Basically, it shows you your progress in graph form. Very cool!

Replies

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I use wrist wraps and chalk is all over so can’t use. Still the strong app has some features for the Apple Watch.

I do use the Strong app every session but it’s just for logging and easy to plug in all the info.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/report/-2/strength_training/last_four_weeks

I have a Fenix 5X, I assume this functionality exists in other watches, but I'm not sure. When I start the strength app, it counts reps for me, and at the end of the set, it asks me to confirm or correct the number, then enter the weight I did. The watch also tries to guess what exercise I'm doing (it gets bench presses reliably, always misses squats), and lets me fill the exercise in later on my phone or computer.

The link above goes to a chart showing your reps and volume over the past month. It defaults to everything combined, but the dropdown lets you see a specific exercise, like only barbell rows or whatever.

Basically, it shows you your progress in graph form. Very cool!

Cool!

I hate to admit it, but I don't lift. :open_mouth: But my Fenix 5 has been pretty accurate at sensing when I do laps in the pool, and for data on trail runs and hikes, so I can see how it could work on weights. Gotta love the barometric altimeter.

(Assuming I understand how these things work. I'm a tech fangrrl but naive.)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It came over to the 935 on the last firmware update, but I haven't messed with it yet. I'm not sure I want to be playing with my watch between sets trying to tell it what it thinks I did isn't what I did. I'm kind of old-fashioned in the gym, I've tried several different workout apps on the phone and still prefer a notebook and pen to log my workouts.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    @AnvilHead you can still use pen and paper. If you go back later and edit the workout and fill in what you did, you get a very nice report to show you your progress. I'm the kind of person who finds charts pointing in the right direction to be motivating, you probably won't enjoy the feature if you're not.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I tried it a couple of times but found it a little cumbersome to do all the edits during my workout. Maybe that would get more intuitive over time? I’m sticking with writing it all down for now. Plus it seems to think I’m an Uber-bro and counts everything as bench press. All bench press. All the time. I don’t think ever Uber bros bench that much. Cool feature though. I may try adding some of the details to the workout after the fact, but we’ll see.