Exercise and smartwatch

Options
On days you exercise do you track both your exercises and your smartwatch calories burned with MFP or just the smartwatch calories burned?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    My smart watch talks to my bike and reads information about how much torque and angular velocity I put into the pedals, then forwards the results to MFP.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Apple Watch 3 for a couple of weeks now - anything I log as an exercise is calculated and passed onto MFP, as well as a daily step adjustment. Almost all of my exercise is walking or running, so it's pretty straightforward and accurate.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I use AW also and am fairly sedentary outside of planned exercise so I only count workout cals above the base cals MFP gives me. Once in a rare while I will add cals from yard work or housework if it was particularly vigorous and I took the trouble to note what the AW said I burned in the period.
  • NGeesaman20
    NGeesaman20 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly seditary most days. However I started doing some exercise 3 times a week. Most days I just count what my watch gives me because I know I put in a little extra to make my daily goals. But on those days I workout I dont know if I should just go by my watch or my watch plus mfp.
  • NGeesaman20
    Options
    On a side note my watch won't link to mfp
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    NHann2017 wrote: »
    On a side note my watch won't link to mfp

Sorry if you've done this already, but I was having trouble too until I made sure I'd 1) added the watch/iphone under steps on MFP, 2) added MFP to the sources list of apple's health app, and 3) installed MFP on the watch.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    It's not your Watch that links, it's the Apple Health app.
  • NGeesaman20
    Options
    I don't use Apple watch I have an Aneken. It uses an app that doesn't link to mfp.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Oh sorry, my bad.
  • NGeesaman20
    Options
    It's ok
  • AmberGebell
    AmberGebell Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use AW also and am fairly sedentary outside of planned exercise so I only count workout cals above the base cals MFP gives me. Once in a rare while I will add cals from yard work or housework if it was particularly vigorous and I took the trouble to note what the AW said I burned in the period.

What do you mean you only count workout calories? Yesterday my resting calories were 1629 and my active calories were 800. MyFitnessPal gives me a goal of 1500 and it only gave me 200 extra exercise calories to MyFitnessPal and I walked 15,000 steps yesterday. I am new too Apple Watch it’s the second day and Fitbit gave me a lot more exercise calories back
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My watch tracks my steps and general activity as well as specific excerise activity. It will upload the specific excerise activity calories plus any additional I have burned above and beyond the basic 1600 that MFP deems is my maintenance calories. I eat all the calories it says i should eat give or plus a few because we can't always be spot on every day.
  • AmberGebell
    AmberGebell Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My watch tracks my steps and general activity as well as specific excerise activity. It will upload the specific excerise activity calories plus any additional I have burned above and beyond the basic 1600 that MFP deems is my maintenance calories. I eat all the calories it says i should eat give or plus a few because we can't always be spot on every day. [/quote

Yes I am just confused because it gives many less exercise calories then Fitbit did so I am really trying to understand it xejly25cy4at.png
    ykg09a803sbx.png
    c58slcedtwjp.png
    4ro488i6zd6e.png
  • MelanieCN77
    Options

What do you mean you only count workout calories? Yesterday my resting calories were 1629 and my active calories were 800. MyFitnessPal gives me a goal of 1500 and it only gave me 200 extra exercise calories to MyFitnessPal and I walked 15,000 steps yesterday. I am new too Apple Watch it’s the second day and Fitbit gave me a lot more exercise calories back

I mean if AW has ticked by 100 calories while I sit and do email or eat lunch or whatever during the day, I don't count those as calories expended to eat back. I only count purposeful exercise calories from workouts in addition to my base calories from MFP, as I assume those 100 are in that base. I lost 40lbs and am keeping it off 6 months now with this setup.