Question on what I should do, physique related

aligazali3497
aligazali3497 Posts: 23 Member
Tldr, do I have enough time to bulk and cut with my info below by mid December?

Hello guys,
I want to ask for your input in something I just couldn’t find the answer to.
First let me tell you my goal
-To be in the best possible shape, both health and fitness wise by mid December.
Please note this is just a milestone and I’ve taken this dieting I’ve done so far as a lifestyle and adapted to it and never want to go back, however I have a very important milestone in my life during that time (dec 20th) and I want to look my best. This is actually what got me started to living a healthy lifestyle, which was to change things and be in a much better stand point by then.

Ok so now you know my reasoning on why I want to achieve this very important short-term goal of mine, so let me tell you about myself so you can understand a bit of my body and muscle mass and where I’m starting from.
I’ve never been into fitness before I started my weight loss journey, so I have never really worked on my muscle and made any gains (I’ve been going to the gym now, however I’m in a calorie deficit so the gains aren’t as high. I’ve noticed so gains though and can actually see definition when flexing certain areas).

Now my question is,
With all this in mind (my stats are below), I was wondering if it would be good for me to bulk for short term and then cutting after my set goal date (dec 20). I’m comfortable with bulking 10 or so lbs to gain muscle, then cutting before set date. However I would like to also lose another 10lbs by set date as well.
Am I trying too much in a short time? What’s the best route I can go, I do want to lose 10lbs more then gaining muscle, as that’s my end goal weight and I’m still losing avg 2-3 lbs a week.
I was thinking of going down to 170, so 4 weeks from now, then bulk to 180 then cut back to 175 or less (whatever I can and continue with the next plan after this milestone). Or am I looking at this wrong and I should focus on cutting even more then 170 as it’s still considered overweight for 5’8 male

I’m currently 181lbs ( I stared at 230 at my heaviest) during morning, I’m 5’8, male 21 yrs of age, no bulking experience and never hit the gym until i started losing weight.

Replies

• misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited October 2017
    Cut first and then bulk. Its recommended that you fall below 15% body fat at the least to start bulking. Dont cut more than 1lb a week given you are close to goal now.

If you cut too fast, you lose muscle mass along with fat. So cutting fast to 170 and bulking makes no sense imo. You would rather lift heavy at maintenance.

If not doing already, do this regardless of your decision:
    1. Keep protein intake high. About 0.8gm/goal weight in pounds or more.
    2. Do a proper lifting program like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 rather than doing own stuff in the gym.

My opinion: cut between 0.5-1lbs a week till dec20 while lifting heavy and consuming enough protein.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2017
    Seven weeks or so would be ample time to lose 10lbs by cutting alone. That would be without a bulk attempt.

Now, if you were to try to bulk in seven weeks with your stats and experience I would be surprised at you gaining much more than one lb of muscle. It just not that easy to gain muscle in that time frame, especially just starting out without a good trainer.

If I were coaching you, I would just have you cut while starting the starting strength program. Once your body fat % was in a optimal range, you would begin your bulk.

You will look better in seven weeks and goals set for long term that is obtainable.

• aligazali3497
    aligazali3497 Posts: 23 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Seven weeks or so would be ample time to lose 10lbs by cutting alone. That would be without a bulk attempt.

Now, if you were to try to bulk in seven weeks with your stats and experience I would be surprised at you gaining much more than one lb of muscle. It just not that easy to gain muscle in that time frame, especially just starting out without a good trainer.

If I were coaching you, I would just have you cut while starting the starting strength program. Once your body fat % was in a optimal range, you would begin your bulk.

You will look better in seven weeks and goals set for long term that is obtainable.
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    Cut first and then bulk. Its recommended that you fall below 15% body fat at the least to start bulking. Dont cut more than 1lb a week given you are close to goal now.

If you cut too fast, you lose muscle mass along with fat. So cutting fast to 170 and bulking makes no sense imo. You would rather lift heavy at maintenance.

If not doing already, do this regardless of your decision:
    1. Keep protein intake high. About 0.8gm/goal weight in pounds or more.
    2. Do a proper lifting program like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 rather than doing own stuff in the gym.

My opinion: cut between 0.5-1lbs a week till dec20 while lifting heavy and consuming enough protein.

These are the answers I was looking for, thanks guys.

I’ll slow down with 1 lb a week and increase protein intake and follow a regimine until then.
  • thatfitdad
    thatfitdad Posts: 13 Member
    Make sure when you bulk, you count calories the same. A good rule is a cut diet and a bulk diet should be about 800-1000 calories apart. Go for a half pound a week bulk. Right now I do a 1 mo th bulk at 3200 cal, 1 month lean out at 2200 cal.