Options
Any opinions helpful

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    1.8-2.2g/kg of bodyweight for protein.
    A minimum of 0.35g/kg of bodyweight for fat.
    And fill the rest of your calories with whatever.

Biggest factor is making sure you're actually eating enough calories to gain weight.
  • lauchlanpreston
    lauchlanpreston Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer id say you should mainly focus on Fats, Proteins and carbs.
    I think you should try consume daily....
    50% Carbs
    30% Protein
    20% Fat

Feel free to adjust them numbers of course but keep the macros in that order. Less fats, more carbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer id say you should mainly focus on Fats, Proteins and carbs.
    50% Carbs
    30% Protein
    20% Fat

Feel free to adjust them numbers of course but keep the macros in that order. Less fats, more carbs.

maybe mention that you need a calorie surplus to gain muscle as well...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    1) there are only 3 macros
    2) one does not need an optimal diet to get optimal gains. Muscles are built in the gym.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    50% Carbs
    30% Protein
    20% Fat

This is the most generic answer ever.

1) What other macros are there to focus on?
    2) percentages are not optimal

*facepalm*
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Listen, OP.

First and foremost, consume adequate protein for an individual trying to gain muscle mass (around 1-1.2g per pound current LBM). Consume adequate fat (around .3g per total body weight). From there let your carbs lay where you prefer them.

You'll obviously want to be eating enough total calories to be in a surplus and training with the right frequency and volume. EDIT: Oh, and make sure you're consuming good quality "whole protein" sources for the majority of your protein since some essential amino acids seem to have a greater effect on anabolism.

I personally do best on a 40/30/30 kind-of split of around 1,800-2,300/day.

If you're reaaaalllly worried about something going wrong and want specific macros based on your measurements/fat gain I'd recommend using Avatar Nutrition for a couple months along with MyFitnessPal until you feel confident you know what you're doing.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ What she said!

I used Avatar Nutrition for five months and it really helped me a lot. I knew a lot of this stuff already but it was nice to get confirmation from someone way smarter than I.

So, if you are a 6'0" - 200lb 35yo man then you likely want to be getting about 175g - 200g of Protein a day. I would suggest focusing on total calories first.....of the four macros (I know, I know....I include Dietary Fiber in that) I would focus on protein and then find a combination of carbs | fats that works for you. Lots of people start with a 60 | 40 split (Carbs to Fats....)). Now, remember, this is a percentage of Calories. And make sure that you get about 35g - 45g of Fiber each day.

So, if you are eating 3,000 calories and you are consuming 200g of Protein (just to keep the math simple) you have 2,200 Calories remaining (3,000 - 800 = 2,200).

So, 60% of 2,200 is 1,320.
    so, 40% of 2,200 is 880.

So, based on that, you would be eating 330g Carbs and 98g Fats.

How did I get that? 1,320/4 and 880/9.

That might be a bit high on Fats for some....and it does exceed the .3g (or .35g) suggestion. Play with those numbers. See what works for you.

What type of training program are you doing? How often? How long have you been training?

Do not forget about recovery.......
  • bushjeanne927
    bushjeanne927 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    One of the keys to performance in fitness and other sports is recovery. It includes getting back in shape and adapting to the workload ahead to improve your performance. A lack of balance between strenuous training and rest harms athletic performance. Over long distances, this can lead to poor well-being, muscle pain, and decreased productivity. To avoid loss of strength and not to worsen athletic performance. https://spacecoastdaily.com/2021/10/4-best-nootropics-reddit-2021-what-do-users-say/ helped me; after each workout, I felt like a load.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread from 2017! >:)
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    There are online calculators, I like the intro explanation below and found what the calc worked out for me was in the ballpark (confirmed) with others - anticipate some trial and error with food sources for taste and any personal sensitivities - I've found MFP tracking pretty helpful, including making Food Notes:

https://www.mindpumpmedia.com/macronutrient-calculator