help with macros and calories!

Options
Hello guys this is my first thread. Im 23 5'8 and weigh 153 and I'm trying to build muscle (bulking). Im wondering is the calculator on MFP includes the TDEE with bc it has me at 2900 calories a day? Also I'm currently on a Fierce 5 novice program. Thanks in advance for any help and tips !

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No, MFP works on NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) instead of TDEE. So your goal would be 2900 plus your exercise calories.
  • thatgrayboi
    thatgrayboi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    No, MFP works on NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) instead of TDEE. So your goal would be 2900 plus your exercise calories.

Thanks for the fast reply!! So on my non training days should i keep it at 2900 ?
  • thatgrayboi
    Options
    also with gaining weight , do i still keep consuming the same amount of calories or up them the more i progress in weight gaining
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Thanks for the fast reply!! So on my non training days should i keep it at 2900 ?

Yes, if you want to maintain. If you are bulking, do 250 cals over this. Go in and set your goal to gain 1/2 lb per week. Do this for a few weeks, measure and adjust of necessary. Also, keep your surplus at 250 cals per day so you won't gain too much fat.

Macros: .8 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. Fats at .35 to .45 grams per lb of body weight. Carbs for the rest.
  • thatgrayboi
    Options
    Ok I guess I have been over eating Bc I have it set on a 1 pound a week
  • mmapags
    Options
    Ok I guess I have been over eating Bc I have it set on a 1 pound a week

That will just cause more fat gain to cut later. The key to not making it too hard is minimal surplus and adequate protein to fuel muscle growth. Some like to do even more protein than my recommendation. It wouldn't hurt anything and may help. Ideally, you want to do a lean bulk gaining about 50/50 fat and muscle. Too many calories and it will be 80/20 fat and muscle.
  • thatgrayboi
    Options
    thanks for the replies !!
  • mmapags
    Options
    You got it!