Adapting twice

Options
So I hit my goal of 140lbs at 5'6 back in September having dropped from 199 at the start of 2017. I know this was fast, unfortunately my weight loss was triggered by a diagnosis of gallstones back at the beginning of the year. Controlling the pain was only achieved by eating very low fat, and due to a long waiting list at my local hospital (I'm in the UK) that restriction continued until October 10th when my gallbladder was removed. So now I'm in a position where I not only need to learn how to eat at maintenance but also changing my daily food intake considerably to take account of the fact I can now eat much needed fat. Unsurprisingly I lost more weight following surgery and I am now 6lbs below my original goal weight, whilst I am not underweight as yet, I am looking gaunt and eating my 1600 calories is proving difficult mentally, averaging around 1400 at day net at the moment. My plan has always been and still is to change my goal to building muscle once at goal, I can't do this yet as not fully recovered from the surgery.
I've found it helpful seeing that others struggle with under eating once at maintenance, as someone who has been obese/ overweight for the last 10 - 15 years this was not something I would have predicted for myself.
Not sure what my expected outcome of posting is, just wanted to put the struggle on "paper" and thank other's for allowing me to see I'm not alone with this issue. Off now to consume more calories :)

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,811 Member
    Options
    take it slowly. I am in week 6 of maintenance and just adding 100 every other week. I have a TDEE spreadsheet which I am using but just realized I need to throw out all the first weeks because it skews the TDEE high. I am looking forward to seeing that it says after i have a few months of maintaining under my belt so to speak. It's definitely "to me" a much bigger challenge than losing. It's funny tho as I was looking at the activities in all the forums this morning. Based on level of posting - introducing and diet/weightloss are HUGE then exercise and food seem to be next. But the maintaining forum is REALLY small compared to those big 4. I mean even the chit chat is WAY higher. LOL. Honestly I find this the MOST important message board of all. Good luck and I am sure as you recover from your surgery you are going to ROCK THIS!
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Keep some nuts and peanut butter handy? Very easy to add 200kcal using those
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Olive oil and butter also. It's not hard to add 200 cals a day. Remember, you're not going to gain 20 lbs overnight. Set a 5-10 lb maintenance range, weigh weekly if not more often, and when you get to the top or bottom of your range, adjust your calories by 100-200 per day until you get back to mid range. Maintenance is a series of adjustments.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think my issue is I don’t want to fall into adding calories for the sake of adding calories. I can eat huge amounts no problem but I don’t want to fall back into just eating for the sake of eaten by because that is what caused me to gain the weight I just lost. So slowly figuring out maintenance without forgetting wha to have learned and without just eating to eat feels problematic. I for sure know where to find extra calories if I need them but I want to add them in in a healthy mindful way.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I think my issue is I don’t want to fall into adding calories for the sake of adding calories. I can eat huge amounts no problem but I don’t want to fall back into just eating for the sake of eaten by because that is what caused me to gain the weight I just lost. So slowly figuring out maintenance without forgetting wha to have learned and without just eating to eat feels problematic. I for sure know where to find extra calories if I need them but I want to add them in in a healthy mindful way.

Add a small amount of calories at a time, and use them to sharpen up nutrition (while still being tasty). For example, one thing I did while moving toward maintenance was add a tablespoon each of hemp seed and milled flax seed to my daily oatmeal, for a bit of extra protein, fiber, omega 3s, and a satisfyingly pleasant crunch. Not just "eating for the sake of eating", arguably.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You really should try to eat more high calorie foods. If your body is healing from surgery it needs fuel. Eating at a deficit can slow/prolong the healing process.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    You really should try to eat more high calorie foods. If your body is healing from surgery it needs fuel. Eating at a deficit can slow/prolong the healing process.

Endorsed. Good point. I was later sorry I didn't go to/near maintenance for a few weeks after gallbladder surgery.
  • SarahR2412
    SarahR2412 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hey! I’m now at maintenance as you know and soon to have surgery for the exact same thing! I’m also wondering how it will work and how I will change! Stay strong Hun, increase slowly don’t over do it and you’ll get there x