Multi gym workout routine for beginner

Options
euge
euge Posts: 1 Member
Hi I've just bought a home multi gym and need a suggested weekly workout schedule for a beginner. I run most lunchtimes at work and I am trying to tone and build some muscle. I just don't want to start off doing the wrong exercises or in the wrong order.

The gym I have bought is this https://tesco.com/direct/marcy-eclipse-hg3000-compact-home-gym-multi-gym/103-0682.prd?source=others

Thanks

Replies

• phillyeagles9358
    phillyeagles9358 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As a beginner it is recommended you start off with a three day split. Basically what that means is you hit your entire body three days a week with a rest day in between. Really focus on the major muscle groups to gain that initial strength. Work on nailing proper form before getting too heavy and you will see change. If you are looking for something more specific I can certainly help you out.
  • seanverrette16
    seanverrette16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is there anything out there or if you know yourself how to determine how much weight you should be lifting? I'm going for definition, I still have a lot of weight to lose and I know that will help but my main focus is definition.
  • seanverrette16
    seanverrette16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Is there anything out there or if you know yourself how to determine how much weight you should be lifting? I'm going for definition, I still have a lot of weight to lose and I know that will help but my main focus is definition.

Do 8-12 reps per set.

When you can get 12 reps on all sets of that exercise, add a small amount of weight.

Work back up to 12 reps and repeat.

8-12 reps is a good range for bodybuilding.
  • phillyeagles9358
    phillyeagles9358 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Lean59man is exactly right on with this advice. If you are looking to build muscular definition (which in turn will burn off fat) the 8-12 rep range is ideal. Once you get into a good routine you can then start to mess around with things like drop sets and/or super sets. Remember though that perfect form is always more important than heavy weight.

• flo_houdini
    flo_houdini Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I recommend to start the first month with only getting back on track in your head. I'm saying that you have to prepare your body for a month for the real training which is going to be after this. This though, doesn't mean that you'll do the bare minimum, you'll also see results and you'll look way more better with your shirt off than you're looking now. I suggest to do like this : In the first week you’ll train all major bodyparts in each workout (as opposed to “splitting up” your training). Train three days this first week, performing just one exercise per bodypart in each session. It’s important that you have a day of rest between each workout to allow your body to recover.
    In the second week, you’ll begin to train different bodyparts on different days with a two-day training split (meaning the entire body is trained over the course of two days, rather than one as in the first week). You’ll train a total of four days this week; the split includes two upper-body days (Monday and Thursday) and two lower-body days (Tuesday and Friday), and each bodypart is trained twice. Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday will be your recovery days.
    In the third week of the program you'll step it up to a three-day training split: Train all “pushing” bodyparts (chest, shoulders, triceps) on Day 1; hit the “pulling” bodyparts (back, biceps) and abs on Day 2; and work your lower body (quads, glutes, hamstrings, calves) on Day 3. As in Week 2, you train each bodypart twice a week, so you’ll hit the gym six days this week.
    In the fourth and final week of the program, you’ll train four days in a four-way split that hits each bodypart just once (except for calves and abs, which are each trained twice). Four-day splits are common among experienced lifters because they involve training fewer bodyparts (typically 2–3) per workout, which gives each muscle group ample attention and allows you to train with higher volume. As you’ll see, chest and triceps are paired up, as are back with biceps and quads with hamstrings, each a very common pairing among novice and advanced bodybuilders. Shoulders are trained more or less on their own, and you’ll alternate hitting calves and abs—which respond well to being trained multiple times per week—every other workout. No new exercises are introduced in Week 4 so that you can focus on intensity in your workouts instead of learning new movements.
    Once you complete this little program, you can start add more reps and new exercises. This little program is just a preparation for the heavy workout you'll do in the next weeks.
    Hope I was clear enough ! Good Luck mate ;))
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    you can try the book "New Rules of Lifting" they describe the routines, and give you plans to follow. I have the book and for a beginner I found it very informative.