Serious motivation problems

Options
I have been cutting carbs (less than 50 net a day, usually closer to 20) calories under 1500, logging over my actual intake just to get mft to register it some days. Running or walking with the dog every single day. And the freaking scale hasn’t moved in a month. My husband keeps telling me to go to a dr because I have been having problems with ibs and haven’t been able to go to the bathroom (I know, tmi, but a week and a half straight might be a problem), but seriously, between diet and exercise, a big girl should see a little movement on the freaking scale. No movement on the numbers makes me feel like it’s all for nothing even though low carb has cut the seizures to a flat 0 instead of 2 or 3 a day

Replies

• rdg013070
    rdg013070 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go to the doctor. Congratulations on moving every day and eating right!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't undercut your calorie goal, and not "cheat", even if it's in a non-typical way. But you need to log properly to ensure you are in a calorie deficit. You have to stay in a calorie deficit, so if you eat more now and then, for whatever reason (usually, it's "this isn't working anyway"; it can also be "this can't possibly have that many calories"), you won't loes weight. What's in your intestines also weigh something, so it can mask weightloss.

To sum it up: Be accurate and honest, be patient and look at your weight over time.

Make relieving your constipation a priority.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should see your doctor. It sounds like low carb has helped you with seizures (are you on a medication that causes constipation?) but a high fiber diet can help you with "regularity". That could include whole grain breads and cereals, in addition to fruits, veggies and beans. So there's a trade-off, which your doctor can help you with. Under a doctor's supervision, you may find that you can simultaneously treat the IBS and seizure disorders and lose weight. But I think it's a bit dangerous, actually, to try to juggle all these things on your own.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium citrate tablets. They have helped so much with constipation.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    1. You don't say that you're weighing your food per MFP recommended methods. If you're not doing this, it's likely you're eating more than you think you are.
    2. You have a medical problem that definitely affects the weight on the scale. You might be losing fat but the scale is not changing due to this other problem. Yes, see a doctor, or at least call the office and let them know how long it's been since you've had a BM so you can get some direction about what to do.