Zombies, Run? app - Join me?

Options
I just discovered this great running or walking phone app. I know. I am a little late to the party on this one.

It is an app that tells a story and sends you on walking/running missions. It starts off free but after a while I believe you have to pay. It can be used outside or inside on a treadmill.

I did season 1 episode 1 yesterday and loved it. It was 3 kms. It's a great motivator because the story is engaging.

Do you want to join me and discuss here?

Replies

• enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There is a zombies, run! group you should check out :)http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/6558-zombies-run-group
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    loved that app! got me running.
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've owned this app for years, but I've never actually done it. There is a walking equivalent from the same group that centers on an insurrectionist story. I did that for a bit but had trouble with the GPS... I'll have to retry now that I'm on a new phone.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    enyagoboom wrote: »
    There is a zombies, run! group you should check out :)http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/6558-zombies-run-group

Oh sweet, thanks! I joined.

And I just finished episode 2!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    mranlett wrote: »
    I've owned this app for years, but I've never actually done it. There is a walking equivalent from the same group that centers on an insurrectionist story. I did that for a bit but had trouble with the GPS... I'll have to retry now that I'm on a new phone.

Well now that I know this stuff exists I will be sure to search it all out. It's awesome!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The app is AMAZING. And I meant to do the 5k virtual marathon this Halloween but forgot to sign up. :(
    I’m going to get the premium membership because waiting for episodes to unlock kiiiiiiiills me.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    I was wondering if you could please tell me what you mean by waiting for episodes to unlock means?
    How far does the freebie get you?

I do plan of getting the premium but not till I need to, lol.
    Thanks.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if you could please tell me what you mean by waiting for episodes to unlock means?
    How far does the freebie get you?

I do plan of getting the premium but not till I need to, lol.
    Thanks.

I think the free version releases episodes to you at intervals (maybe 1 per week?) so you're limited there if you want more episodes.

With the premium you have full access to all six seasons and all the additional training plans, airdrops, radio mode, supply, intervals, and race missions at the same time. I bought it way back when they were just getting started (when it was a one-time fee and when the app had way fewer features) and got grandfathered in as a premium member when they relaunched the app, but I like it so much and have found it so valuable that I pay for a new premium subscription because I wanted to support it.

It got me into regular running and I'm still using it today. I took some time off running right around the time Season 6 started, so I'm on S6 E23 right now (but I'm going to finish the Call of Duty missions they released first before I go back to the main story.)
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    Oh thanks. That is valuable info.
    Greatly appreciated!

I checked out the group listed above but it is not too active right now.
    But it did however direct me to a Facebook group that is very active.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Oooooo Facebook group? Off to Facebook!
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey runner 5!! I am a huge fan of this app. It is worth the price of premium money is very tight for me. I honestly budget down to the dollar each paycheck and barely make ends meet but I have never regretted a dime spent on ZR. It took me from a couch potato who though walking a mile was a torturous task to now I can run for miles. The story gets better and better and you will find even the smallest details are brought up again in later seasons. I just finished season 3 and it solved a season 1 mystery! It makes me think makes me laugh cry jump and mostly you know... Run. Runners 5 are also a very supportive group. We are here to support eachother and all have fun. One piece of advice though, don't go to the wiki site. It is overrun with spoilers and even if you usually like spoilers you won't want it for this story. Have fun and stay safe out there!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    Victory68 that is very inspirational! Well done! And I think the price of the premium is money well spent if it keeps a person moving. I am getting it for the full year.

To be honest the idea of throwing in some running (not walking) is not completely ruled out for me as a goal for the Spring. The more I walk and listen, the more I think running spurts would add to the story. I kind of walk faster now at those spots but it's a little slippery in spots here, so I walk cautiously. I love how I can see the map of where I was on my walk! I am not at this point interested in the treadmill mode. When I go to the gym I never use the treadmill. Fresh air walking is my preference.

Do you guys know if this app/story is still being written? Or is season 6 the end of the story?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Victory68 that is very inspirational! Well done! And I think the price of the premium is money well spent if it keeps a person moving. I am getting it for the full year.

To be honest the idea of throwing in some running (not walking) is not completely ruled out for me as a goal for the Spring. The more I walk and listen, the more I think running spurts would add to the story. I kind of walk faster now at those spots but it's a little slippery in spots here, so I walk cautiously. I love how I can see the map of where I was on my walk! I am not at this point interested in the treadmill mode. When I go to the gym I never use the treadmill. Fresh air walking is my preference.

Do you guys know if this app/story is still being written? Or is season 6 the end of the story?

I'm not at the end of Season 6 yet as it's just come out recently, but I would doubt that that it will be the end! They do take some time between seasons to write and produce the material, so there is several months' minimum wait between seasons, but I haven't seen anything indicating a desire to wrap it up yet.

I hope they will produce another series when they do, though, since I think it's very well-done and enjoyable.
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Haha I'm glad :)
    It is fun to slowly build to a run but it does sound like it would be best to wait until spring where you are at. If you slip on ice the Zoms will get you ;)