Handful, Dollop, Sprinkle, Drizzle

Options
SamanthaD23
SamanthaD23 Posts: 53 Member
What are these all about, then?
How do we measure the calorific content of a 'dollop'?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would use a recipe that had specific amounts listed or decide how much I wanted to put in and weigh or measure out that ingredient and log what I actually put in.
    If you want to play with ingredients then do that with very low calorie things like herbs, spices, vinegars or lemon juice.
    Pay more attention to amounts of oil, cream or other calorie dense items that you choose to add.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

There are many people who cook that way with excellent results, but you can't count calories with such imprecise measurements.

Of course, some people don't need extremely accurate calorie counting for weight loss, but if you see your progress isn't as expected, then you need to be accurate.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I don't really follow recipes much. The exact amount of something doesn't interest me as much as the relative proportion of something to the other things. How to cook like that and still keep track of exact amounts so it can be logged accurately can be a bit of challenge but not a major one really. My MFP recipes have quantity and even ingredient edits every time I make them.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options

To me a dollop means spoonful, so I'd consider that to be a teaspoon.

To me it reads more like a tablespooon. If we're talking about oil, I'd consider a drizzle about a teaspoon, and a sprinkle less than a teaspoon. But I agree with the first poster, especially for high cal ingredients, I'd choose a measurement and measure it myself and log it that way. Spinach, though, I have no problem using by the "handful", since it's only about 7 calories a cup.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    In terms of recipe success/determining portion/proportion of vague terms:
    http://courses.escoffieronline.com/glossary-of-vague-cooking-measurements/

I approximate low-density items (greens, mostly) and weigh out whatever a ‘dollop’ feels like, and add that to diary, but I also tend to cook on the fly a ton and log ingredients rather than use the recipe tool.

If I’m feeding 2 and the recipe I’m hacking off of calls for ‘a splash’ of EVOO, I measure a tablespoon or whatever for the batch, then log 1/2 that.

Personally, my ‘dollops’ totally depend on my nutrient needs.
    When I get to the end of the day and need more fat, my ‘splash/dollop/pinch’ gets way more generous.
    Still gets logged.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Dad tells me that a handful measured in a healthy/normal adult’s hand is 1/4 cup.
    Edited to clarify that yes, I’ve played/experimented with this claim and found it to be true and helpful when I serve myself nuts or seeds.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Put a container big enough to hold the dollop on a food scale, tare, add dollop.
  • SamanthaD23
    SamanthaD23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the lovely replies. I was asking because I was reading some recipes from the Blood Sugar Diet book - which contained "a dollop of" and "some of this" and "small chunk of".

I will now dollop with confidence :) thankyou lovelies xoxo