55lbs Lost and Still Disappointed

Options
As of today I’m down 55lbs since the beginning of the year.

SW: 270lbs
CW: 215lbs
CGW: 199lbs
UGW: 150lbs-160lbs

When I look in the mirror I still see the same things and I guess I’m surprised by how little of a difference 55lbs can really make. I’m still fat, just less fat, and I still don’t feel even close to comfortable with myself or my body.

I’m the weight I was at when I was 16 and I thought that would make me happy but it doesn’t. I still see all the work that needs to happen and it feels like I’ll never get there. I’ve been at this for 337 days and I’m tired. It’s daunting to think that there’s still another 15lbs to my first goal and another 40-50lbs after that. How is that even possible??

Could use some support and motivation because I am disappointed as hell.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    You've done so well so far--please don't stop now. If you're tired just do maintainence for awhile. Maybe it's time to relook at your fitness goals. To get a nice body exercise really helps. There's a great thread- a sticky- "a guide to sexy pants", which is very helpful for your problem. Good luck and let us know how you do.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Do you take regular progress pictures? Take your measurements? Notice the difference in the fit of your clothing? Sometimes I don’t “see it” in the mirror but the picture evidence is overwhelming!

Hang in there.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't buy clothes very often unless something wears out. For me, it was seeing the sizes go down when I did buy. I was a 3X, just over a year ago. Now I'm somewhere around a 12-14. (My winter coat is an XL, but I wanted room to wear a couple of layers underneath). I'm fixing to buy boots this week and thinking that I won't need to go looking for the ones with wide calves.

My mirror is not like the one Snow White's stepmother had. It lies to me. Showed me I was 'slightly heavy but still okay-looking' when I was BMI 45. Shows me I'm 'a little thinner now' at 28.5. My clothes tell a very different story.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    You're likely seeing in the mirror, how you still perceive yourself which is why you dont see much change. I'd suggest taking pictures too-much easier to see the difference.

How are you going about losing the weight? If you're counting calories that must be quite difficult. If you can find a way of enjoying the process it would really help you to stay motivated; it takes the pressure off the outcome and you'll be more likely to stick with the process. Could be zumba, lifting weights, dance classes or whatever.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. You have done the hard part for a year. And you have gotten wonderful results. Guess what, the next year you can be down another 56 lbs. this a lifestyle change not a race. You have shown yourself that can do it. Just keep going. And I would more movement. Extra calories to enjoy a treat and give your body more definition. You got this. Tell that voice in your head to back the h*ll off. Read the success stories thread often. It took some people more than one year to get the changes they wanted. You are not alone.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that you need to find ways to like yourself regardless of your weight. Your body is just a vessel, its your personality that makes you who you are. Whilst it is true that people often feel better about themselves when their body looks good, I think its important to like the person you are. If you don't, why not? Find ways to build your confidence which aren't tied to your weight. Do some courses, volunteer, join a group etc
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I think what you've written is a good reminder to us who are overweight that we become blind to our heaviness as the weight goes up because it does take a considerable amount to make big differences in the way our bodies look. It the same thing with the age ... we look the same for a period of time and then ... WHAM ... we look in the mirror one day and suddenly we see ourselves as 5 or 10 years older than we remember ourselves looking yesterday.

If you feel burned out by the active weight loss you have been engaged in for "337 days" ... then perhaps the thing to do is take the next 28 days and let it be a period of maintenance of your current weight instead of still striving to lose.

Just watch what and how much you eat because going maintenance does not mean you can go back to eating the way you did when you put yourself into your current situation of needing to lose a lot of weight. ... However you can relax the caloric deficit, practice keeping you weight stable within a couple of pounds up or down from now. When day 366 rolls around (337 +28 = 365, and 366 starts a new year for you) ... go back to a deficit and renew your effort to lose more weight.

Like I've heard, read, seen written ... 'you didn't get 'there' in a day, and you won't get 'back' in a day either.' :)
  • my3girlzjune9
    my3girlzjune9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    WOW, you are amazing!!! 55 pounds!!! Have you thought about maybe giving yourself smaller goals? Monthly goals? I shoot for monthly goals... and "reward" myself if I reach them. This journey is a life long life style change. You will make it!!! Look how far you have come ALREADY!!!
  • kakaovanilya
    kakaovanilya Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If you hadnt done somethig about your weight, you could have been 55 lbs heavier today but you are 55 lbs down so you should be proud. I think you should buy small size clothes and try them every other week.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Would you post some progress pics so we can see if there's been a change?
  • 1peanutandapumpkin
    Options
    I'm sure there's been a BIG change...you just can't see it for yourself. It's hard to look in the mirror and see something different from what we're used to. I had struggled for 2yrs, lost 30lbs, hit a plateau and was tired of trying, so I gave up. I gained that weight back and now I'm starting all over. Don't let yourself stop. You've come too far to give up and give in. Keep going! I remember the first thing that really showed me how far I had come. I found a pair of shorts that looked really small but were my "new" sz. I didn't think they would fit, but they did. Keep reminding yourself of how much better you feel, how stairs are easier, how clothes are smaller. I would do what the previous poster said about carrying around that extra weight just to show yourself how far you've come. You've rocked it this far, you can keep going.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say I weighed 150 in high school. Would love to be there again.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Most of us (who are not egomaniacs) are our own worst critics! What an accomplishment! You hare likely much more healthy and can do all sorts of things you couldn't before. (Carrying 55lbs is hard work!)

Now, about being happy, that's an entirely different matter that has very little to do with weight. Finding happiness requires thinking about your whole life, not just your weight. My suggestion is that you hit the self-help section of your bookstore, take some courses, do more activities, think hard about what makes you happy and what does not. It fits in well with dieting actually, you are thinking about your whole life, not just your fat layer.

Best of luck!

PS My favorite self-help book is "The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People."
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I feel you OP. I have good days and bad days. I started at 230lbs and am now around 155. Progress pictures definitely help. Every month I'll take a a full body picture and then compare it to my heaviest. Congratulations on 55lbs down!
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    losing the weight doesn't shake the demons. taking a break by doing maintenance level calories and light exercise (things you find enjoyable) or finding a new hobby might help a lot. Overhauling habits is hard, but you've already proven you can do it. take care of your spirit while you're finding your way. Good luck!
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat right now! I started a couple years ago at 271 and am currently at 204, lowest was 192 this spring, it can feel really frustrating to still have a bunch to lose but I just try to focus on positive changes and working out to build muscle. I accept that I'll probably always have body image issues but I'm hoping they improve over time!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Three things....
    1. Some of us get proportionately smaller, so it’s harder to see progress. Keep pushing
    2. It’s not going to be “over” when you hit your ideal weight — that’s really just the beginning. Keep pushing
    3. You might not look exactly like your expectations at goal. I certainly don’t. But, keep pushing.