Low Carb, High Fat

Options
Hi,
Over 50 and need to get healthy

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you're overweight, you need to lose weight, and you do that by eating less (and moving more). Exactly how to eat less (and move more) would be completely up to you. Low carbs works great for some, not at all for others.
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yup everyone has different success on different plans, and you need to play around and see what works for you. I've had great success on LCHF/Keto diets and have lost 112 lbs since January, but YMMV.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    sounds like KETO to me. Not sure what your posting about, but like it has been said. calories in calories out and exercise regularly. Get a food scale and measure and log everything.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Over 50 and need to get healthy

Welcome! I'm over 50 too and TRYING to get healthy by eating low carb. I started eating high fat, but now, mainly concentrating on keeping carbs low and protein moderate. Fat fits where it does. I started Oct 1st at 227 lbs, and today I weighed in at 205. So 22 lbs in 7 weeks. Oh, and no exercise. I attempted some walking and light aerobics last month, and was in too much pain in lower back to continue. I have a dr's appt tomorrow and am looking for a referral to a physical therapist. So pretty much diet alone has helped me to this point.

Pretty much any diet with a calorie deficit will help you lose weight. Low carb is good for me because I am a carb addict, and had trouble stopping at a small serving. Basically no will power. So by avoiding that group, I've been able to lose. Now I don't really miss it. I eat so much more food now, and stay full longer. My blood glucose went from high 160 -190 mg/dl on average to averaging around 90 mg/dl. My blood pressure has come way down too. So while I'm not yet at a healthy bmi, I do feel better and healthier. It's doable.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 63 and two months into my weight loss journey (this time around). I have tried LCHF and LCHP, but find a balanced diet is more sustainable for me (currently I'm at 40/35/25). I do have problems with both diabetes II and high cholesterol and triglycerides, and have yet to find a diet that keeps all of that at bay without meds. Higher protein seems to be the obvious choice for me, but I just can't eat that much especially without raising fat even higher (and my lipids go way up). Good luck with your journey. Hope your diet works well, if not, you can always switch it around. As they say, deficit is what causes weight loss....not the diet.