Willpower

Options
Hi, I’ve been a member for almost a year and was doing great and losing weight. I’m currently staying with family who doesn’t eat healthy and it has become very difficult for me to maintain my healthy eating habits. I’ve gained four pounds in a month. I do walk on a treadmill but it hasn’t helped. I have become very discouraged. My problem is willpower with all the junk food here. I would love to hear some suggestions on how not to give in to temptation. Thank you.

Replies

• PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    How long are you going to be staying with these family members?

In my experience, regarding food, its much easier not to eat junk food when its not in the house. As its not your house, I'm guessing you can't control what food is in the cupboards. The only thing you can control is how much time you spend on the house. Either eat out or ensure that you're aleady full before you return for dinner.

You're doing this for yourself.
  • c4k421
    c4k421 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding. I will be staying for six months. I’m staying outside of town and unfortunately i don’t drive so I am limited to where I can go. Thank you for your suggestions.
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Go to bed early and read a book in bed so you are not tempted to snack at night
    Wake up early and get exercise in before breakfast
    Then just do your best throughout the day and stay busy
    Good luck!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Log everything, even the stuff you wish you didn't have to log.

Get yourself some satisfying but low calorie snacks. Eat those when you feel tempted. My favorites are pickles, sliced radishes (for salty), coffee with almond milk, Greek yogurt with fruit (for sweet and creamy).

Depending on your relationship with your family, you may not be able to do this, but if you can, talk to your family members. Ask them not to graze in front of you - if you are having a meal, eat, but no just grabbing food all the time when it's not mealtime. This helped my relationship with my husband so much. Now if he wants junk he eats it when I'm not around.
  • c4k421
    Options
    Thank you for all of your suggestions they have really helped to give me the encouragement to keep going. There are a lot of great ideas I am going to start to do to distract myself from eating the junk food. Thank you again for your support
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I’d skip the salty chips. Or whatever triggers you to start overeating. If there’s a cookie you don’t like (for me it’s oatmeal) then take one and nibble it. This is a great opportunity for you to learn how to navigate around all of the yummy junk food that’s all around. Good luck, and read these forums frequently to get support- and to give it ;).
  • c4k421
    Options
    One of my favorites is Nutella and pretzels so I’m going to start there. I’ve been reading the forums and they’ve been really inspiring. Thank you for responding.