Gyms are surprisingly affordable!

Options
ttreit
ttreit Posts: 59 Member
edited November 2017 in Getting Started
I don't have a lot of income - and the income I have is sporadic so I had written the gym off as an unaffordable luxury.

However, I was recently pleasantly surprised to find out there are very reasonable options out there!

I used to work at a Fortune 500 company and we had access to an extremely nice gym. Like the kind of place that has fancy locker rooms with individual spa pools in the locker rooms! Everything was very new and shiny and included racketball courts, a swimming pool, a giant room for just cardio, etc.

Well I had to pay the tax on my membership and just the tax they took out of my paycheck was over $100 a month. So I always assumed gyms were really expensive.

Well I don't work in that industry any more - now I work in the extremely not so lucrative music industry. But! I found a gym in my area that is independently owned that costs under $20 a month. No contracts to sign, no confusing rules. Just a gym. It's NOT fancy but it has lots of great well used (but also well maintained) gym equipment. Everyone who goes there is there to do a workout. I love it!

So just know that if you look around in your area there's a chance you can find a great gym for a very reasonable price!

Replies

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Very true! Some gyms are a great price. I know that in a lot of places the YMCA is an affordable option, but in my city it’s actually really expensive. The nicer gym I go to is actually cheaper than the Y.

I agree that if people are looking to get into fitness they shouldn’t be afraid to shop around.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    My wife got me a membership at one of them big chain gyms and I had been going to a smaller cheaper gym. The funny thing happened the other day as I was getting on the elliptical machine. That smaller gym called me to offer me a $10 a month membership. I said no thanks and then thought wow maybe they are hurting that bad to call me to try and get me back for $10. My current rate is $30 and I can go into any of their gyms so i am keeping it.

The other thing people dont think about is the maintenance part. Take a look in your gym at all that equipment and there is probably millions of dollars in there for you to use. None of it do you have to repair yourself. Although it is a pain when you go to use a piece of equipment and you see the dreaded OUT OF ORDER sign. *SIGH*
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Very true! Some gyms are a great price. I know that in a lot of places the YMCA is an affordable option, but in my city it’s actually really expensive. The nicer gym I go to is actually cheaper than the Y.

I agree that if people are looking to get into fitness they shouldn’t be afraid to shop around.

Yeah I think the Y here is like $35-50 a month for a single membership. My gym is $15 a month (because my contract expired three years ago), plus PF just opened in town last month.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I want to live somewhere with affordable gyms. :'(
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yes! We were paying over 100 as a family (myself, son, fiance) for the "fancy" gym when all we were doing was a little strength training and cardio. We got rid of that and now go to ATC and pay 45 a month for all 3 of us.

I'm lucky enough to have a gym at work so I spend most of my work out time there but love knowing that I can go up the street at any time for a good work out.
  • ttreit
    ttreit Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

I'm guessing you live in a rural area. I've lived in some pretty rural areas and it's hard when your options are so limited! If you haven't done this yet try calling all of the gyms (if you have any at all) in your area and ask them if they have a low cost membership. If they say no tell them your budget and ask them what they could do for you. Maybe they'll work something out. It never hurts to ask! As a small business owner, I'll work at coming up with a quote within a client's budget if it's possible and I don't lose money on the deal. Even if I just break even, it's worth it to build a relationship with that client and get referrals to their friends/family.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC. My first membership was around $8 a month. My health insurance helps pay for it, too.

But if you don't go, it doesn't matter how cheap it is.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    ttreit wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »

I'm guessing you live in a rural area. I've lived in some pretty rural areas and it's hard when your options are so limited! If you haven't done this yet try calling all of the gyms (if you have any at all) in your area and ask them if they have a low cost membership. If they say no tell them your budget and ask them what they could do for you. Maybe they'll work something out. It never hurts to ask! As a small business owner, I'll work at coming up with a quote within a client's budget if it's possible and I don't lose money on the deal. Even if I just break even, it's worth it to build a relationship with that client and get referrals to their friends/family.

No, I live in an expensive area. They aren't interested in working with budgets or making deals. It's great if you live in area with a lot of affordable options, it's just not the case where I live.