Healthy Side Dish Recipes for T-Day!

Options
So I've decided that in my efforts to maintain my momentum, I will prepare and bring several healthy options for myself and whoever else to indulge in beside their turkey.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on Pinterest so I thought I would share some of my contenders here.

Balsamic Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus (http://wallflowerkitchen.com)

9ha0bqyfimsm.png

INGREDIENTS
1 kg new potatoes (such as Jersey Royal or another small waxy variety) cut into quarters
250 g asparagus tips cut into 2 inch pieces or halved
2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
A generous pinch of salt and pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 200C / 390F.
In a large roasting tin, add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt. Add the potatoes and toss to coat fully before roasting for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, add the asparagus with a little extra olive oil, if needed. Toss to coat and cook for a further 15 minutes.
Season with extra balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Serve and enjoy!

Replies

• iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    SIMPLE BAKED APPLES (happyhealthymama.com)

bp8gqafcgf4d.png

Simple Baked Apples Recipe whole apples and baked dish
    This recipe for Simple Baked Apples makes a family-friendly side dish that is easy and everyone loves. No added sugar!

Author: Happy Healthy Mama
    Prep Time: 7 minutes
    Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
    Total Time: -25183621.2 minute
    Yield: 4 servings
    INGREDIENTS

5-6 medium apples, peeled and cut into chunks
    2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
    Put the apples in a small to medium baking dish. Mix the melted butter or coconut oil together and then dump it on the apples. Toss well to coat all the apples evenly with the cinnamon mixture.
    Bake in the preheated oven until the apples are soft, about 20-30 minutes. Stir once during the baking time. Enjoy!
    NOTES

*All of the sugar listed in the nutrition facts is naturally occurring sugar from the apples. There is 0 added sugar in this recipe.

NUTRITION

Serving Size: 1/4 of recipeCalories: 170Sugar: 23Fat: 3.8Carbohydrates: 31Fiber: 5.5Protein: .5
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    Secret Ingredient Honey Garlic Roasted Carrots (http://carlsbadcravings.com)

rpk1vbth8lkk.png

Prep Time 10 minutes
    Cook Time 45 minutes
    Servings

servings (about 5 carrots each)
    INGREDIENTS
    2 pounds baby/thin carrots peeled, tops chopped off or to 2 inches*
    1/4 cup apricot preserves
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon butter, melted
    1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon McCormick Garlic Powder
    1/4 teaspoon McCormick Ground Mustard
    1/4 teaspoon McCormick Thyme Leaves
    1/8 teaspoon McCormick Ground Cumin
    3/4 teaspoon McCormick® salt
    1/8 teaspoon McCormick® pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Either line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray OR spray your baking sheet with cooking spray. See Note**. Add carrots to the center.. Set aside.
    In a medium bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients and pour over carrots. Toss until evenly coated. Line carrots in a single layer. Bake for 30-45 minutes depending on carrot thickness, until fork tender, stirring after 20 minutes.*** Roast longer for more caramelization. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
    RECIPE NOTES
    *Baby carrots simply refer to young, thinner carrots that are not tough or woody. They can often be found in the organic section of your grocery store. If you want to use different carrots then cut extra thick carrots in half lengthwise and adjust cooking time - carrots are done when they are fork tender or roast longer for more caramelization.
    **If you use thinner carrots, you might not want to use foil because the carrots will caramelize better in the shorter roasting time without foil.
    ***When you stir at 20 minutes, the Glaze will have liquefied and there will seem like a lot of moisture but the carrots will absorb the moisture/Glaze as they continue cooking.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options

Cheese Stuffed Mini Sweet Bell Peppers Ingredients: (backatsquarezero.com/)

inp48qts57p6.png

– baby bell pepper (calorie count is based on 8oz bag containing 6 peppers)
    – 3 pieces light string cheeseCheese Stuffed Mini Sweet Bell Peppers 002

Cheese Stuffed Mini Sweet Bell Peppers Directions:
    – slice each pepper on one side in order to remove seeds & stem
    *I got a little excited doing this and will be finding pepper seeds with my bare feet all night!Cheese Stuffed Mini Sweet Bell Peppers 003– cut the 3 pieces of light string cheese in half
    – stuff each pepper with a piece of string cheeseCheese Stuffed Mini Sweet Bell Peppers 004– place on a nonstick (or sprayed) baking sheet
    – broil on low for 12 minutes
    – eat and enjoy

Each cheesy, delicious, pepper has approximately 48 calories! I had three of them for a great snack that rang in at less than 150 calories – amazing! I really enjoyed these and will be making another batch later on this week. (I had a feeling I’d love them, hello cheese, so I bought 2 bags of peppers.)
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The carrots and the potatoes look particularly delicious!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    The carrots look great. I had something similar recently and it was delicious. The apples might need a teaspoon or 2 of sugar, imho.

You might also look at mashed cauliflower.. It's my go-to for holidays and everyone loves it. Steam cauliflower then add to food processor to mash. You can add almost anything - cream cheese, butter, roasted garlic and or Parm cheese. Plus salt of course. Top with breadcrumbs or shredded Parmesan and bake. Wonderful!!!
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    The carrots look great. I had something similar recently and it was delicious. The apples might need a teaspoon or 2 of sugar, imho.

You might also look at mashed cauliflower.. It's my go-to for holidays and everyone loves it. Steam cauliflower then add to food processor to mash. You can add almost anything - cream cheese, butter, roasted garlic and or Parm cheese. Plus salt of course. Top with breadcrumbs or shredded Parmesan and bake. Wonderful!!!

I'm just afraid nobody will eat it but me, and I'm trying to be economically responsible as well as healthy, lol.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I made something similar to the baked apple dish once. I pan-cooked diced apples, sweet potatoes, and pancetta in coconut oil to make a "harvest hash." It was amaaaazing! And since it has pancetta (or you could sub bacon), people will eat it ;)