Pie crust is diet cryptonite!

Options
And it often has trans fats. And sometimes has a lot of salt.

(Still, I love that sh1t.)

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    ..im confused..

Is the trans fats and salt somehow taking calories away that i have available for pie?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I love pie crust. I was the guy you didn't want to be behind when they had cobbler on the buffet. I would get a lot of crust and a little fruit filling.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Love pie crust... I made 6 chicken pot pies and I've been having it almost every night for dinner. There's only 2 left and I only made them last week. :D
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    In the process of making crustless sweet potato pie right now. Making a double batch for tomorrow.

Calories and nutrition are great without the crust, and the nice fresh spices make it very tasty. We don't put in much sugar, but there will be whipped cream tomorrow. Real whipped cream, a little goes a long way!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    My mom made great pie crust. Super flaky. And when th er was leftover dough, she would roll it out spread on butter and add sugar and cinnamon and bake.

One of the best things ever! And most calorie dense.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I make my own. Yum.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I freaking LOVE pie. Sweet and salty deliciousness
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    For me, pie is all about the pie crust.
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    For me, pie is all about the pie crust.

So why bother with fillings? Just chow d own on pie crust. It is really simple to make.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I made two pumpkin pies today with homemade pie crust. It'll be fine if I eat some.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If pie crust is diet Kryptonite, would that make strudel the full-fat version?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's was giving away pecan pie in the demo area and I just looked longingly at all the broken off pie crust wishing the woman would just scoop it all up and give it to me.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love a Greggs (UK) savoury mince and onion pie, mainly because of the short crust pastry.

It's over 600 calories though.
  • Bechler77
    Bechler77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    An excellent crust elevates a pie from good to great.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'm minimizing crust consumption this year. Trying to cut down on sodium among other things.

So: I made a Crustless Apple-Cranberry Crumble with granola on top. Just enough brown sugar to sweeten it and some butter for richness. It came out great! No added salt, no trans-fats, and gluten free for my wife.

PS I can't believe I misspelled "kryptonite." D'oh!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Pie crust only has transfats if it has hydrogenated ingredients. Made with butter, lard or even olive oil, it has no transfats.

If you haven't had crust on top of a chicken pot pie made from chicken fat, you haven't lived!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    [quote="HeidiCooksSupper;c-40904318"

If you haven't had crust on top of a chicken pot pie made from chicken fat, you haven't lived![/quote]

Well that sounds amazing. Apparently I haven't lived.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a low starch experiment, hoping for relief from inflammation. Not sure it is doing any good so I may be sampling some pies and crusts at Christmas, but I went crust free yesterday and will while the leftover pie disappears.