Major weight fluctuations

Options
I eat same low cal foods and exercise 30 minutes most days so it's not the foods.
I Lost 3/4 lb I'm so happy next day I'm up 1 1/2. I was very careful with food today. 1300-1400 cal drank 60 oz water. In evening up another 4 lbs. This is insane !

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    food and water don't just disappear when you consume them... they add weight too when you drink and eat..
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Not unusual at all. First day you have an initial water loss. Next few days, it levels out some, but if you exercise, it may go up because your body retains water to assist in muscle repair. You will weigh more at night than in the morning if you have been eating and drinking all day. These days, I gain about 5 pounds from early morning, after bathroom, before eat or drink, in light weight pajamas until night, fully clothed, eating and drinking all day. Summer more like 4 pounds. (Less clothes?)
  • baconbutt1996
    baconbutt1996 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    On Monday I weighed 90kg, today I'm just under 87kg. Some fluctuations can be wild, so you should get an app the measures and graphs the trend of your weight!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,679 Member
    Options
    Normal.

You have a weight range not a specific weight.

Use a weight trend web site or app to monitor your weight level over time.

Same time, same clothes, same conditions for each weight in to minimize variance.
  • traleen
    traleen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks for replies just tough to see when I do everything right
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, after a while you'll get used to seeing your weight vary a little from day-to-day. It takes time to see the overall trend of your weight.
  • AllyyLovesYa
    AllyyLovesYa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Weight loss isn't linear. Rather than comparing your weight day-to-day or even week-to-week, you want to look at your weight trend over time.

Weigh under the same conditions every day to reduce the variables. I weigh in the morning after a bathroom trip and before I eat or drink anything.

Here's a 3-month time frame where I was at or below my calorie goal every day. My daily weight, and even my trend, went up and down but the general trend was downward:

yr14h6k25cug.jpg

Out of curiosity, what app do you use to track your weight loss?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,679 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Happy Scale iphone, Libra Android, www.trendweight.com web (to enter your weigh ins it requires either a supported scale or a fitbit.com account which you can get without charge and without a fitness band and which you can connect automatically to both trendweight and mfp), or www.weightgrapher.com which does allow for manual entry of weigh ins but bugs me with their suggestions

The picture looks like a trendweight screen capture
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    traleen wrote: »
    I eat same low cal foods and exercise 30 minutes most days so it's not the foods.
    I Lost 3/4 lb I'm so happy next day I'm up 1 1/2. I was very careful with food today. 1300-1400 cal drank 60 oz water. In evening up another 4 lbs. This is insane !

Those are not major weight fluctuations. Food and drink have weight. When you step on the scale, it weighs them. It doesn't distinguish mass that is actually part of your body's structure (bones, muscle, organs, fat, etc.) from stuff that is just passing through (what's in your digestive track and water stores in various places). Just like if you step on the scale wearing clothing, you'll way more than if you step on naked.

It's not insane. If it bothers you to see the fluctuations, don't weigh your more than once a day, and always weigh at the same time of day, which will tend to flatten out (but not eliminate) the fluctuations. You can also accept the fluctuations, and possibly using that graphs your weight trend over time would help you with that.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Weight loss isn't linear. Rather than comparing your weight day-to-day or even week-to-week, you want to look at your weight trend over time.

Weigh under the same conditions every day to reduce the variables. I weigh in the morning after a bathroom trip and before I eat or drink anything.

Here's a 3-month time frame where I was at or below my calorie goal every day. My daily weight, and even my trend, went up and down but the general trend was downward:

yr14h6k25cug.jpg

Out of curiosity, what app do you use to track your weight loss?
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Happy Scale iphone, Libra Android, www.trendweight.com web (to enter your weigh ins it requires either a supported scale or a fitbit.com account which you can get without charge and without a fitness band and which you can connect automatically to both trendweight and mfp), or www.weightgrapher.com which does allow for manual entry of weigh ins but bugs me with their suggestions

The picture looks like a trendweight screen capture
    Yes, the picture I posted is from TrendWeight.com. I use both TrendWeight and Libra.