Need some clear answers please

Options
Okay I all in all know what the answer to this likely is, but I could use some help navigating the b.s. on the interwebs.

I was chatting with a friend earlier and she told me she was cutting out refined sugar. When I asked her why, she said that she had her body fat percentage taken and that apparently her body doesn't handle added sugar well and stores it as back fat. Hence the cutting back. Sounds like she got told some woo, and I'd like to refute it with actual science.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    First of all, where did she go to get her body fat checked?
    What is by someone in the gym? If that is the case, her results are likely incredibly inaccurate.

More importantly, when anyone eats too many calories, be they carbs, fat, or protein,
    the body will store the excess as fat.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing a gym. I believe she goes to one.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The locations in which the body chooses to store fat are primarily a function of age, gender, genetics, and hormone balance. She was given a bunch of woo on the in-betweens, but ultimately, reducing refined sugar in the average diet is actually a pretty good thing and can really help to reduce body fat.
  • davidylin
    Options
    By the way, there aren't clear answers on this. The current state of science is committed to doing very interesting experimentation and research on a number of chemical receptors that are believed to signal a readiness for adipose fat cells to propagate (grow new fat cells) as well as a number of hormones that indicate when fat cells are ready to take in more triglycerides (the fat).
  • davidylin
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    If that were so, upper arm fat would be caused by eating too many chicken wings.
    Poetic and amazing.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Still trying to work out how any method of determining body fat percentages could determine how your body handles any food. If only it were that easy.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    As RodaRose said, all excess calories are stored as fat. Sugar (blood glucose) is the body's primary source of quick energy and therefore is a good food to consume when you are active and burning lots of calories. When you are sedentary you really don't need much sugar (or starch which quickly gets broken down to glucose). Fruit is a good source of sugar because it also supplies fiber and vitamins and nutrients. A spoonful of granulated sugar has none of those. That is why we are told to cut back primarily on refined sugar. They are just empty calories and often end up stored as fat for most of us. In addition some people, especially diabetics, need to avoid sugar because it enters the blood stream so quickly and causes blood spikes followed by drops in blood sugar which wreaks havoc with the pancreas and its insulin release. A lifetime of eating high amounts of sugar or starch can cause insulin resistance over time which then can lead to type II diabetes. I believe the RDA is around 45 g of sugar (from any source) per day for an average person, and I personally find that is more than I need for both my energy needs and my sweet-tooth. I gave up refined sugar years ago when I was experimenting with low-carb and never went back to it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    When people are cutting sugar, that essentially means they are cutting calories. Cutting out ENOUGH calories is how people lose weight. It still comes down to CICO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Your friends ideas are absurd. Certain foods don't cause fat to be stored in certain parts of the body. If that were so, upper arm fat would be caused by eating too many chicken wings.

That's it! No more chicken wings for me! Only breast and butt!